We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying In La Jolla With Kid - Mistake?

Miami, Florida
4 posts
Save Topic
Staying In La Jolla With Kid - Mistake?

Looking at staying at the Grand Colonial. We're into Mexican fare and cocktails and shopping for the most part. We do have a 7 year old we're taking to LegoLand so thats one day planned. Other than that, and the zoo, what else is there for us to do or see with a 7 year old?

Also, from where we stay in La Jolla, what are the approximate distances from the hotel to the Zoo and the LegoLand? I read online but you never know what Google tells you when there is traffic and a local perspective.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying In La Jolla With Kid - Mistake?

Why not stay in Carlsbad and the new LEGOLAND Hotel?

Carlsbad is about 1 hour drive (using I-5) north of the community of La Jolla.

Other things to do, the San Diego Zoo Safari Park near Escondido, SeaWorld San Diego, USS Midway Aircraft Carrier...

www.visitcarlsbad.com

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,102 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying In La Jolla With Kid - Mistake?

WHEN are you coming?

7 year olds like playing on the beach in the sand(even if the ocean is cold)

There are seals and sea birds on the beach at La Jolla Cove and a nice playground next to the beach at La Jolla Shores.

Visit ships like the USS Midway and /or the Maritime Museum with its old sailing ship and Russian sub.

Go to Balboa Park (where the zoo is located) and visit the small museums including an interactive science one, shop at the artisan shops in the Spanish Village, listen/see outdoor entertainers

www.balboapark.org

Rent bikes or a 4 wheeled surrey for the whole family to ride along the ocean front.

I'd expect the zoo or Legoland to be about 30min. door to door.

Why would you think it is a mistake to stay in La Jolla?

Lots of families live/play there!

Miami, Florida
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying In La Jolla With Kid - Mistake?

Thanks for the replies!

I don't think its a mistake staying there really.....I just read that La Jolla is ritzy and I didn't know if people frowned upon children in the area. We live in Miami and Miami Beach can be like that after dark.

If LegoLand is a 30-60 minute drive, or lets say the mean of your two opinions at 45 minutes, I'm cool with that. We'd like to stay in a luxury hotel and that seems to be what Grand Colonial is. Any good Mexican Restaurants anyone can suggest?

The trip is for late March.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying In La Jolla With Kid - Mistake?

Hi Tim - No La Jolla is NOTHING like Miami Beach. It's very sedate at night. It's a nice little village with lots of shops, restaurants, art galleries. There are restaurants with nice views of the ocean. I'm not one to give advice on those but the last time I was there I ate at the Crab Catcher and had a nice meal with a great view.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying In La Jolla With Kid - Mistake?

<<Carlsbad is about 1 hour drive (using I-5) north of the community of La Jolla.>>

Balderdash. (But this coming from someone who thought a car could drive to the end of Pier 39 in San Francisco.)

If you go to Legoland in the morning you will be going against traffic. It's 25 miles from the village of La Jolla to Legoland. And you will be able to use the car pool lanes where they exist which will help as well. Good grief, you could almost WALK in an hour.

I'd go with Riff M's estimate.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying In La Jolla With Kid - Mistake?

Hi Tim,

La Jolla is a very family-friendly community and NOTHING like Miami.

I agree with RamblinSal and Riff M on the time it will take to drive to Legoland in the morning (about 35 minutes, 40 tops). Grand Colonial to the Zoo, 25-30 minutes.

Lots of things for kids: beaches, playgrounds, a cute cupcake place with pint-sized tables and chairs, seal colony a block from the Grand Colonial, sea lions and pelicans at La Jolla Cove, Birch Acquarium with kid-friendly exhibits and a touch pool full of marine life.

Mexican fare: try Puesto on Wall Street (a block from the Grand Colonial).

Cocktails: Whisknladle, Nine-Ten (in the Grand Colonial), Roppongi (delicious tapas half price during happy hour).

Best seafood = Eddie V's on Prospect.

Sammy Wood-fired Pizzza = very kid friendly

Aroma's = kids eat free

Cheers,

Elizabeth Hansen

www.LaJollaTravelInformation.com

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,126 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying In La Jolla With Kid - Mistake?

We have done Legoland to La Jolla during the non rush hours in about 20 minutes or so and with traffic about double that. You will love La Jolla and the whole San Diego area. In fact at times it is more fun after Legoland to just drive West to the coast and follow that road south and you will find plenty of restaurants as you drive south.

Edited: 1:45 am, March 05, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying In La Jolla With Kid - Mistake?

i don't know how long people spend at legoland...never been there...but, if you were "done with it" by around 3:00 p.m. i'd consider continuing north and go to laguna beach for sunset. there is a really good pizza place (bj's i think) right across from the main beach. just to see a different "town".

if you are already doing legoland, the zoo...maybe i'd consider sea world, just because i love it...but, having said that...the one consistent thing i heard from family and friends when they visited me was that they regret "over planning".

pacific/mission beach is fun...you can walk the boardwalk or rent roller blades or bikes. there is a roller coaster down at belmont park...a little hard on the neck but fun.

a fun few hours is going down to ocean beach...walk newport avenue, which has some cool shops and then walk out on the pier. then a short drive away is sunset cliffs (sunset cliffs blvd and santa cruz). get there about 45 minutes before sunset, bring a blanket and a picnic and enjoy the sunset and moving around (carefully) on the rocks and there is a little cove you can get your feet wet (too rough to swim in).

plan one day of just non driving and just enjoy walking around la jolla and enjoying the pool at the hotel.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying In La Jolla With Kid - Mistake?

sorry, two other quick thoughts that are close to where you are staying...go to the top of black's beach and watch or go on a "glider flight". then the district just to the north has some beautiful homes if you like driving around looking at homes. at the bottom of torry piines state park, on the way to del mar...there is a great place to park and a beach to enjooy sunsets.

Miami, Florida
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying In La Jolla With Kid - Mistake?

Thanks! I appreciate the clarification on that. I'm easy driving 30-45 minutes either way and have nothing but time. Thanks so much!