We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting LaJolla/SD in December

Wisconsin Dells...
2 posts
Save Topic
Visiting LaJolla/SD in December

We will be visiting LaJolla/SD for a week in early December. My husband has a conference. We will be staying at The Lodge at Torrey Pines. I am looking for some suggestions on things to do while he is in his meetings. I am also looking for suggestions on transportation. Would it be best to rent a car or take taxis?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,611 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting LaJolla/SD in December

Hi JLHM11,

Welcome to the forums!!

Your hotel is in a beautiful location but public transportation is not a good option from there. The hotel offers town car service to some nearby locations and if you want to go farther to explore I'd suggest having your own car.

Since you are there for a whole week I'd think you'd want to get out and about to see some of the wonderful sights this area has to offer!!

I live quite nearby and can say that there is a lot to see/do.

Be aware there will be an extra fee to park the car.

IF you tell us your interests we can make suggestions for things you can do.

Nearby you have(walking distance) Torrey Pines State Reserve and beach for walking/hiking scenery etc.

Torrey Pines Golf course (if you play)

Torrey Pines Gliderport to watch them take off from the cliffs and soar out over the ocean. There is a small cafe there to get a light lunch snack.

There is also the beautiful campus of the Univ. of Ca. S.D which has an outdoor sculpture walk/tour you can do on your own with a map you get at the entrance to campus.

Farther using the hotel's town car you can get to the "village" or downtown area of La Jolla with its shops/art galleries/ cove area with beautiful scenic views and seals in their native environment on the rocks.

Then of course there's the rest of the city of San Diego to explore with museums/parks/harbor cruises/whale watching cruises/zoo/ Old Town etc. etc.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting LaJolla/SD in December

I agree with everything Riff M has said. If you have a car, it will give you a lot more options.

Please let us know what you like to do, see, eat, and we will be able to help you have a great time in La Jolla and the rest of San Diego.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting LaJolla/SD in December

Hi JLHM11,

You will be much happier if you rent a car.

Here are some things La Jolla locals like to do:

Browse through the produce, flowers, and handcrafted items at the Open Aire Market on Sundays from 9am -1pm

Do a "self-guided" walking tour along the oceanfront from the Cove to Windnsea Beach and back. You'll see sea lions, seals, pelicans, and lots of interesting people.

Go to La Valencia Hotel and have a light lunch or tea/coffee in La Sala.This lounge area is gorgeous, has a wonderful view, and exudes a unique traditional ambience.

Attend a play at La Jolla Playhouse. (Many of their shows go on to Broadway.)

Enjoy a High Tide Breakfasts at The Marine Room. They will take place Wednesday, December 12, through Friday, December 14, from 7 to 9 a.m. (in case you happen to be here then).

Have fun!

Elizabeth Hansen

www.LaJollaTravelInformation.com

4. Re: Visiting LaJolla/SD in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 08, 2013