We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Snorkeling and/or Kayak instruction-first timer

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Looking for Snorkeling and/or Kayak instruction-first timer

I am going to be taking a weekend class at the Surf Diva school for surfing. Would like some suggestions on near by places that offer snorkeling and kayaking. Will be traveling alone. Yoga studios too. Also something near by. The Surf Diva school is located on Avendia de La Playa 92037. Thank you

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Snorkeling and/or Kayak instruction-first timer

Int he same street at the Surf Diva school you will find several kayak/snorkel outfits. Since I have never used any of them, I cannot vouch for them. Just Google "La Jolla" and "kayak" and you will see a lot of them come up.

Here are a few:

La Jolla Kayak

San Diego Bike and Kayak Tours, Inc.

Hike Bike Kayak

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Snorkeling and/or Kayak instruction-first timer

thank you for such a quick response. Would like to pose a second question to the destination expert. I am booked at a hotel called Extended Stay America located (i am told) about 2.5 miles from the school. Since I am traveling alone I think I would like a cozier experience. Could you recommend a Bed and Breakfast near the school? Note that I booked Extended Stay because I can't really afford to spend a lot of money on a hotel. Thank you for your help

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Snorkeling and/or Kayak instruction-first timer

I don't know where your Extended Stay America hotel is. Could it be the Grande Colonial? That's the only one that comes up when I Google ESA LJ. If so, that would be as cosy as can be. It is about 1.5 miles from the Surf Diva store front. You can walk to it although there are some small hills.

La Jolla has two (actually more, but for this purpose I will say two) neighborhoods that would be of interest to you: La Jolla Shores (where Surf Diva is located and their surfing beach is)

and the "Village" of La Jolla (the downtown of LJ). The Grande Colonial is located in the Village.

The only B & B I'm aware of is also in the Village. The Bed & Breakfast Inn at La Jolla is in a nice location near the Museum of Contemporary Arts and within walking distance of the main streets of the Village (Prospect & Girard) and a few blocks from the ocean. It is a lovely historical inn, and it is about 2 miles from Surf Diva. However, it is not cheap.

You will find a lot of yoga studios within the Village.

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Snorkeling and/or Kayak instruction-first timer

The address for Extended Stay America is 9880 Pacific Heights Blvd., San Diego, Ca. What would be the best way to get to the Surf Diva School? Will not be renting a car. I can walk and I don't mind several miles as long as I'm not running across freeways. New York is a walking city. I don't expect the same for LaJolla.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Snorkeling and/or Kayak instruction-first timer

There is NO easy way to get from the ESA to La Jolla Shores! The address is definitely not 2 1/2 miles from a surfing beach, and you cannot walk (unless you are ready to walk 9+ miles in hilly area).

You may have to look into public transportation (bus), but keep in mind that San Diego is not the best place for that, and you may be on the road for hours.

Put the address in Google Maps, and search for public transportation (the bus icon). You will see that it takes at least an hour and 1 transfer (bus 30 and 921), and you will still have to walk.

If it were me, I'd try to find a better location to stay.

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Snorkeling and/or Kayak instruction-first timer

OK. Sorry I did not see you message yesterday. Looking at LaJolla Inn 1110 Prospect, la Jolla 92037. Same zip code as Surf Diva. would this be closer?

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Snorkeling and/or Kayak instruction-first timer

Yes, Prospect is in the "Village" of La Jolla. It will be a 1.5 mile walk. You can also take the bus, but it is much easier to walk than to wait for bus # 30, which goes every 25 min.

This hotel is in one of the best spots in La Jolla, right by the Cove. As I understand it, the hotel has undergone some (much needed) renovation, but there are still rooms that have not been updated yet. The advantage of this location is the "Village" where you will find all kinds of restaurants, cafes and coffeeshops, as well as yoga studios and lots of very nice scenery. Great for walking. Your original place was in a high-tech industrial area.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Snorkeling and/or Kayak instruction-first timer

LMarieNewYork,

Have you already been to La Jolla? I just saw your post and have a yoga suggestion for you, but there's no point in writing about it here if you are already back in NY.

BTW, if you have already been here, where did you stay and did you like it?

Elizabeth Hansen

www.LaJollaTravelInformation.com

9. Re: Looking for Snorkeling and/or Kayak instruction-first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, August 25, 2013