We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in San Deigo

London, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in San Deigo

I am visiting California at the end of August and doing a multi centered trip from Yoesmite through LA (Disney and Universal) with my husband and 10 year old daughter. Travelling from England on holiday we want some relaxation at the end of the trip and would like to see San Deigo. I would love some info on a good area. Like La Jolla and Carlsbad, also Coronado might be nice. Want to spend relaxing 5/7 days at a resort style hotel (budget of £800ish) with large pool. Ideal if we can walk into a nice upmarket area and driving distance to visit San Diego and the Zoo.

1. Re: Where to stay in San Deigo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:06 am, July 05, 2012
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,675 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in San Deigo

Hi there,

Not sure what the exchange rate is these days so not sure how much your budget might be in $$s?

To me a "resort style" hotel means a hotel with pretty grounds and activities.

I am not sure if that is also what you mean??

IF you are used to the large AI resorts of Florida or the Caribbean then I must tell you we have very few of those sorts of places here(and NO AIs at all) because real estate is much more expensive and beaches here are all public places. Here are a few ideas:

In Carlsbad there's La Costa which has great pools and spa services. The downside is that you'd have to drive a short distance to restaurants as they are not really walkable from the hotel. It would be about a 40min. drive to downtown San Diego and the zoo.

On the sand in Coronado is the Hotel del Coronado. The pool is just a basic one but its location right on the beach is unusual for here and you can walk on Orange Ave. to shops and restaurants. It is a short 10min. drive over a no toll bridge into downtown San Diego and to the zoo and Balboa Park nearby.

Outside the main downtown area of Coronado is the Loews Coronado resort. It has several pools/spa services/activities for children etc.

The downside again is that you'd have to drive about 8 -10 min. to the shops/restaurants in Coronado and then another 10min. or so into San Diego's downtown.

Lastly on Coronado is the Coronado Marriott. This would also be walking distance to restaurants and to the passenger ferry that goes across the bay into downtown San Diego.

The La Jolla area is a lovely upmarket area . The 2 hotels on the beach there at La Jolla Shores(La Jolla Shores Hotel or the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club) are in a great beach location but the pools are not impressive. You can walk to some restaurants and drive about 5min. to more choices.

I would say that in general those hotels we have that are right at our beaches do not put a lot of energy into the pools so they are just basic ones.

I suppose one other possibility with a good pool would be the Hyatt Mission Bay Resort in one of the tower rooms. The downside again would be that it is either a longish walk or a short drive to low key restaurants.

Take a look and see if any of these fit your needs. Let us know the budget in $$s and we can see if there are any other ideas.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in San Deigo

I agree with Riff M that you may want to look at the Hotel del Coronado or one of the La Jolla hotels. They are in lovely areas. If you are set on having a large pool, those hotels may not be an option, and you will have to look at either Park Hyatt Aviara Resort (formerly Four Seasons) in Carlsbad or the La Costa Resort and Spa that Riff M also mentioned. Keep in mind that if you want to see any of the San Diego tourist sites, you will have to drive at least 30 minutes (without traffic) to get to them.

ETA:

Riff M, the conversion rate today is 1 British pound sterling = $ 1.56 US, which makes it US $1248-ish for 5/7 days. That comes to about $250/5 days or $178/7 days. That would preclude my suggestions above, since they are luxury hotels.

Edited: 11:10 am, July 05, 2012
4. Re: Where to stay in San Deigo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:46 pm, July 09, 2013