We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Grande Colonial Hotel or The Valencia Hotel

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
The Grande Colonial Hotel or The Valencia Hotel

We're planing to visit La Jolla the first week of February and we're

not sure which hotel to book . I've gone to both hotels website

and they both seem very nice. Any suggestions. We're looking

for a more luxurious hotel with all the amenities.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Grande Colonial Hotel or The Valencia Hotel

Hi nancy755,

Welcome to the forums!

In both of these hotels the water view rooms are the ones to book.

They are different style hotels with La Valencia being more "old world/European" in flavor and Grande Colonial perhaps a bit more modern.

I would book whichever hotel gives you the better room for your money!

IF you would like other ideas , both the Hotel Del Coronado and The Lodge at Torrey Pines are considered to be 5***** hotels.

Since La Jolla is a neighborhood of the city of San Diego and is within 20min. of downtown you may want to consider other areas too?

The Park Hyatt Aviara Resort(which used to be a 4Seasons) is in our suburban San Diego County area and is quite luxurious .

Closer to La Jolla you will also find the Grande Del Mar which is also a luxury property.

Level Contributor
34,201 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Grande Colonial Hotel or The Valencia Hotel

We stayed 3 nights at The Del and fell in love with the property! It is a beautiful oceanfront resort and the hotel is full of history. The pool area is very nice, it was perfectly heated in Dec. and there is a great spa there where my husband had a massage. We saw some gorgeous sunsets also in Coronado and found it easy to do day trips to La Jolla and SeaWorld.

We admired The Valencia when we walked by it while in La Jolla, it is just a short walk to the La Jolla Cove from there. If we ever stay in La Jolla, we would seriously consider staying there. Enjoy your time in San Diego! :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Grande Colonial Hotel or The Valencia Hotel

Thanks for your reply.

We were thinking to saying in the La Jolla area because we heard

it's a nice area but because we are first time visitors with no

idea where we should stay for our first visit we are open to suggestions. Any recommendations where first time visitors to the San Diego area should stay?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Grande Colonial Hotel or The Valencia Hotel

I only mentioned the other hotels because you said you were interested in luxury properties with lots of amenities.

IF you have a car then there's no one area that is perfect for every first timer.

It depends on who is in your travel group(adults/children etc.) and which activities you plan to see/do.

The Hotel Del Coronado is across the bay from downtown San Diego and is reached by crossing a short no toll bridge.

As I said the La JOlla Hotels are about 20min. north of downtown.

The Grande Colonial is about 30min. north of downtown and the Hyatt Aviara Resort is about 40min. north.

Each area has its good/bad points sooo think about what you'd like to see/do and how much driving makes you comfy. Then compare the amenities/prices at each hotel and let us know your thinking.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Grande Colonial Hotel or The Valencia Hotel

We decided to stay in La Jolla at the Grand Colonial. We will be travelling

the first week of Feb 2012 with another couple. We are

all in our 50's and are interested in doing a lot of sight seeing - ?suggestions?-

shopping -?suggestions?- and visiting some of the wineries -suggestions?-.

We are also interested in taking some guided tours We're interested in history and architecture .{can this be arranged from the hotel?} Perhaps even some walking tours of the La Jolla area and downtown area.

Also, if there's time would like to fit in a massage at a spa in La Jolla -suggestions?-

We will be renting a car at the airport. How far of a drive will it be to La Jolla? And can we drive along coast to and from La Jolla and downtown instead of taking the freeway.

Also any suggestions for good restaurants in the La Jolla area for breakfast and

dinner and also and good restaurants in Old Town and Little Italy area.

And some suggestions as to what to do if we get any rainy days during our visit.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Grande Colonial Hotel or The Valencia Hotel

I think you made a good choice with the Grande Colonial. It is nicely located in the "village" of La Jolla (downtown area).

The drive from the airport to the hotel is about 20 minutes by freeway. You will find that everything is "about 20 minutes" from La Jolla. It will be much easier to drive on the freeway to the hotel. You could drive a somewhat more beachy route if you drive through Mission Beach and Pacific Beach (N. Harbor Dr to Nimitz Blvd to SeaWorld Drive to W. Mission Bay Drive to Mission Blvd to La Jolla Bvd). Parts of the route will not have ocean views.

Less than a block from your hotel is La Jolla Spa MD where you will be able to get massages.

Some good places for breakfast in La Jolla: Brockton Villa, The Cottage, Harry's Coffee shop (for oldfashioned breakfast with the locals).

Some nice restaurants for dinner: George's, my new favorite The Prep Kitchen, Aquamorree.

There are many options for sightseeing. Right near your hotel are La Jolla Cove and the Children's Pool. It is a very scenic area with lots of photo ops.

Other sightseeing locations: Balboa Park with its many gardens and museums, Cabrillo National Monument in Point Loma with a great view of Downtown San Diego, The Embarcadero, Coronado and the Hotel Del Coronado, the Gaslamp Quarter in Downtown San Diego. I'm sure others will post with more places to see.

What kind of shopping did you have in mind?

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Grande Colonial Hotel or The Valencia Hotel

Hi nancy755 -

If I were in your shoes, I would have picked La Valencia. The public spaces are old-world beautiful and the rooms are more modern with every convenience. …elizabethhansen.net/2011/03/worlds-best-la-…

As far as things to do, the La Jolla Historical Society offers walking tours. There's information here: lajollahistory.org/collections-programs/…

More sightseeing: La Jolla is home to Birch Aquarium; the Torrey Pines Gliderport; the San Diego Museum of Contemporary Art, La Jolla; a Farmers Market held 9am -1pm on Sunday (…elizabethhansen.net/2009/09/la-jolla-farmer…); and the University of California San Diego. I suggest you take the self-guided walking tour of the outdoor art on the campus. It's wonderful.

Regarding shopping, you can stroll along Prospect Street and Girard Avenue and hit most of the stores, but also take a moment to walk down Prospect to St. James Church, where you will find their wonderful little shop full of ethnic art and craft items gathered from all over the world (…elizabethhansen.net/2010/12/christmas-shopp…).

I'll stop now, lest I overwhelm you.

I think you'll love La Jolla.

Elizabeth Hansen

La Jolla, California

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The Grande Colonial Hotel or The Valencia Hotel

Thanks for all the information . Any suggestions for wine tours.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Grande Colonial Hotel or The Valencia Hotel

Nancy755 -

A GREAT option for wine tours: Shira Wiseman knows more about local wine and wineries than anyone I know. She conducts La Jolla walking tours that include stopping in at various restaurants to sip and sample (…elizabethhansen.net/2011/01/la-jolla-food-a…).

La Jolla Wine Tours also offers excusrsion to wineries around San Diego County.

Cheers!

Elizabeth Hansen

La Jolla, California

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Grande Colonial Hotel or The Valencia Hotel

Thanks, I'll check it out.