We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quandry over June trip

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Quandry over June trip

My husband and I and our daughter and SIL are flying to San Diego June 23 for wedding at Point Loma naval base Saturday morning

We really wanted to stay in condo (vs hotel) to spend more time together but most beach condos are doing only weekly Sat-Sat rentals in June.

I found one north in La Jolla and couple in Mission Beach area...am not sure about how crowded the La Jolla beach area is vs Mission Beach or how long it will take to get INTO San Diego to do sightseeing activities.

How long would it take to drive from La Jolla to Point Loma on Saturday morning--Wedding is at the Ocean Room Terrace I think ...

Do we have to worry about the weather in June?

I have read that June is fairly cool--especially along the coast.

The only time we were in San Diego--many years ago--we burned up in our hotel room because there was no AC and a heat wave going through the area...

I saw a 2 bedroom suite at the Scripps Inn which was very appealing in photos--

anyone familiar with that room situation--quality of beds and other aspects of accomodations?

I know that La Jolla is a special place--reminds me of Sedona, AZ in strange way and I think our daughter and SIL would really like it better than in-town sightseeing in San Diego.

I don't want to split the days between two locations but we want them to have a great time--we are treating them as anniversary present.

Any suggestions appreciated.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quandry over June trip

The drive FROM La Jolla to Point Loma on Saturday morning will be absolutely no problem. There will be very little traffic going out of La Jolla or even going in (until noon).

We call the weather in June "June Gloom" because of the overcast foggy skies along the coast in the morning. This usually burns off around noon, but there are days where it burns off later or not at all. The temperature will be pleasant, probably in the low to mid-70s.

I don't really know much about Scripps Inn other than that it is a great location, but I'm sure others will be able to tell you about it.

Edited: 11:40 am, May 14, 2011
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,238 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quandry over June trip

It all depends on where in "La Jolla" those rentals are located.

The area stretches from the beaches inland a few miles.

La Jolla is part of the city of San Diego and from where I live to Point Loma would only take about 15min. From Scripps Inn it would take a bit longer because you'd first have to drive a short way on streets to get to the freeway.

The traffic will be on the city streets and not on the freeway on Sat. morning.

It should not take much more than 20min. or so.

I would not worry about distance to sightseeing. We are not talking about hours but less than 30min. to anywhere you might go!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,252 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quandry over June trip

Scripps Inn is in a beautiful location, right across the street from the "Wedding Bowl" in front of the ocean at La Jolla. You would literally walk across one small street and you're standing in front of the ocean. I have not stayed at Scripps Inn or even been inside it though, so I don't know what it's like. You would have to read through the reviews of it on this site and other sites. But it's virtually an oceanfront location. From there to the village of La Jolla for shops and dining would be about a 20 minute walk, uphill for a few blocks but not a big hill. You could also walk all the way to Children's Pool, La Jolla Cove, Goldfish Point, and Coast Walk, about a 1-mile walk one way, oceanfront the whole way. The coast is cool and cloudy in June, not necessarily every day, but that is common in June. The sun could break through in the afternoons, but by 5 pm the wall of clouds will march back in from the sea. You may not see much in the way of dramatic sunsets in June; the skies are more likely to be gray.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quandry over June trip

My husband said NO to the Scripps Inn--he did not care for the exterior photos. We 2 possibles in La Jolla. I know these probably are not the best area but we are doing a 4 day rental Th-Monday and it is difficult to get a rental in June like that apparenlty...and we have a budget...

One is home east of La Jolla off Via Capri/Soledad Park--not close to the water but lovely terrace, views, and lovely interiors--good reviews from past guests.

The other rental is house that is new construction close to the Starbucks on La Jolla blvd/Chelsea Pl--

we are concerned about 1 bedroom on ground floor and the noise--there will be less privacy there too

parking on driveway--not garage--not enclosed.

How noisy would the one on La Jolla be at night w/windows open for breeze?

How difficult to drive down from the one on Via Capri and find parking?

Is the one on La Jolla Blvd too far to walk to most shops/restaurants?

Have never been to here so have no frame of reference...

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quandry over June trip

You already asked about the three rentals in your La Jolla Weather post.

I mentioned in that post that I didn't think the Chelsea condo would be noisy, especially at night. It probably won't be as noisy as an A/C unit would be. Another TA member, Elizabeth Hansen, offered very kindly to drive by the place for you if you sent her the address.

Chelsea Pl/La Jolla Blvd is in the Bird Rock area of La Jolla, and there are restaurants in that area. If you want to walk to "the village" where most shops and restaurants are located, it will be a 2 1/2 mile walk, which may be too far for you.

Via Capri is a steep road on Mt. Soledad. There have been complaints about cars driving too fast down the hill, but it should not be much of a problem for you. It is no more than a 5-7 minute drive into "the village" if you go down to La Jolla Parkway.

Parking will be a challenge but you can always find parking if your drive around "the village."

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quandry over June trip

Just not sure if people would read the other posts--

thanks for the info about the distances

sounds like we will be driving no matter which one we take

Edited: 2:29 pm, May 20, 2011
7. Re: Quandry over June trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 21, 2012