We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

zoo questions

florida
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
zoo questions

We've got only two days in SD/La Jolla and the main thing we're interested in doing is some of the trails, seeing all that great scenery, that sort of thing. I know that the SD zoo is famous. I'd love to get feedback from folks who know it well. Mainly, in so short a visit to the area, I'm wondering whether the zoo is worth a visit. I don't think I'm interested in the rest of Balboa Park. Thank you very much.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,064 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: zoo questions

Of course you do not have to go to the zoo if you don't want to go.

Balboa Park is one of the areas with beautiful trails and scenery so not sure why it is not on your list. The zoo is also an area with beautiful walks.

Where are the other places you'd like to visit in the area?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: zoo questions

IMO the SD Zoo is worth a visit. But we like that sort of thing. Depending on when you are in San Diego you can do the Zoo in the afternoon/early evening. My suggestion would be to get up go to Torrey Pines, hike the trails and enjoy the beach. Than in the afternoon head to the Zoo and explore. I am curious as to why you say you arent interested in Balboa Park? You would be back in La Jolla for dinner.

Or you could head down to see the seals and the Cove area, have breakfast at The Cottage, head to Wind n Sea. You would be free by lunch time to head to the Zoo.

florida
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: zoo questions

Thank you for replies (though I'm not sure I understand the tone).

I'm interested in doing the La Jolla Shore walk, hopefully Point Lomas, and definitely Torrey Pines (not golf).

We love spectacular gardens, but my memory from our visit to the gardens in Balboa one other time was that they were pleasant, but not Not To Be Missed as are many another garden in the States. (De gustibus though, of course) I'm not real interested in the rest of what I understand Balboa to be, but I will do more reading about it. If it has beautiful walks and scenery, the it sounds like someplace we'd like. Btw, all that (zoo, etc) is fairly expensive, yes?)

Anyway, of course I don't have to go to the zoo if I don't want to-- that's obvious. I was simply hoping to hear from people who have visited and whether it was maybe a highlight of their visit to that fine city, or maybe not.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,064 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: zoo questions

Didn't realize you had been here before.

Sorry if my tone offended you.

Here is an article describing some of the trails in Balboa Park.

sandiegoreader.com/news/…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: zoo questions

That is the problem with writing, tone can't really be heard, only imagined. I ment to be nothing but helpful as did Riff. The information you now give us is helpful.

Walking La Jolla Shores will not take much time at all. In fact not the most exciting walk. Flat boardwalk with great ocean views. You can walk on the beach, again nice views for more interest. Won't take long. I again suggest a visit to Wind n Sea beach. Most beautiful area.

We hike/sunbath at Torrey Pines State Park often. Park in the lower lot and walk up the road to start your hike. Explore a few trails, go to visitors center, and than hike down to the beach. Walk back north to where your car is. You can spend some time hanging out on the beach.

Carbillo in Point Loma is a very nice place to visit. Will not take more than an hour or 2. You might like to do a drive of Sunset Cliffs.

The Zoo does cost, but compared to other attractions it is less expensive.

We are Zoo members and go many times a year so of course I feel it is worth a visit.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: zoo questions

Hi NancyFlorida -

If walking is what interests you - then do it. Here are some of my favorite places:

1) the Bayside Trail at Cabrillo Monument (sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-11-01/attractions-hot…).

2) a walk along the coast in La Jolla (…elizabethhansen.net/2009/09/in-search-of-be…)

3) walking along the Flood Control Channel Wildlife Preserve in Mission Bay Park (sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/…Flood).

These are all beautiful areas and each offers a distincly different type of scenery.

Enjoy!

Elizabeth Hansen

La Jolla, California

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,856 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: zoo questions

Interesting thread.

Regarding walking La Jolla Shores, I agree it does not take much time at all-----unless it is low tide, in which case you can walk all the way to Black's (north), which IMHO is a fantastic walk, and can be as short or as long as you like. You can even walk to Torrey Pines State Reserve. Just be aware of the tide, since you don't want to get caught in a rising tide on the way back. Elizabeth Hansen also has some wonderful walking suggestions.

Regarding the zoo, having just visited the tiny Honolulu Zoo, I must say I much prefer it over the SD Zoo, simply because it is much more serene and child friendly. The SD Zoo is nice and has lots of animals but is overcrowded, frantic, noisy and smelly with the bus tours, and very commercial. OK, folks, please don't flame me!

florida
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: zoo questions

I very much appreciate the different opinions-- thanks for taking the time to post!

9. Re: zoo questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 03, 2010