We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrowed down to two hotels

Red Deer, Alberta
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Narrowed down to two hotels

I've think I've narrowed down our hotel choices to two for our trip in October. Looks like either the Sheraton La Jolla, which has restaurants, etc located within the hotel OR Best Western Express La Jolla, which doesn't appear to have a restaurant in the hotel. We are wanting to spend a couple of days at the beach and one day at Sea World with our 6 & 9 year old daughters. We would also like to spend some time just wandering around La Jolla. Wondering which hotel would be best for us as far as location and being "kid friendly" goes.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,963 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Narrowed down to two hotels

There is a Best Western Inn by the Sea AND a Holiday Inn Express in La Jolla. I am wondering if perhaps you mixed the 2. The best Western Inn by the Sea is in walking distance to La Jolla Cove where you iwll find a series of small rock enclosed(cove ) beaches with a grassy aprk above them and a path to walk along. There are tons of restaurants in walking distance so no need for one in the hotel.

The Sheraton La Jolla is in a totally different area about 12min away by car from the cove and beaches. It is near our university and some restaurants. It has easy access to the highway for getting to other parts of town.

The Holiday Inn Express is near the ocean and south of the Best Westernwith a few restauratns in walking distance but I think the BW has a better location.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Red Deer, Alberta
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narrowed down to two hotels

Yes, I absolutely got them mixed up. Thanks for noting that!! It is the Holiday Inn Express I was thinking of NOT the Best Western. Too many hotels running through my brain!

So the Sheraton is quite a ways away from "central" La Jolla? Well, that definitely changes my thoughts on that. It would be nice to be at a hotel that we could walk around, take in all that La Jolla has to offer, grab an ice cream and walk back to the hotel type of thing.

We are going to rent a car while we are there since we are driving from Anaheim anyway. That will make it more convenient to get to the beach, Sea World, etc.

Again, thanks Riffsmom, your info has been invaluable to me while planning this trip!

San Diego
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narrowed down to two hotels

Since I live here, thought I'd put in my 2 cents. If both hotels are the same price, I think the Sheraton is much nicer hotel, but you do have to drive. The Express has some restaurants nearby, but unless your kids are good swimmers, it is a more rugged beach. In Oct most of the crowds are gone so shouldn't have such a hard time parking and the beach near the Sheraton (La Jolla Shores Beach) is much better for families. Around there are lots of casual and nicer restaurants, ice-cream and surf wear shops for your kids.

4. Re: Narrowed down to two hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, September 26, 2009