We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in La Jolla?

4 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in La Jolla?

My mom and 3 sisters are planning to rent a house in La Jolla. One option is on El Paseo Grande near Spindrift golf course, what I believe is La Jolla Shores. The other is between Pearl & Nautilus St. right off of La Jolla Blvd. on Arenas St. In terms of being close to the downtown area of La Jolla (best restaurants, shopping) and near the best beaches, which area do you recommend? Any help would be much appreciated!

Lessons & Workshops, Gift & Specialty Shops
We Olive
Gift & Specialty Shops
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,752 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in La Jolla?

I hope that in either case they are planning to have a rental car. La Jolla Shores has a great wide white sandy beach with a grassy pairk next to it. There are a few nice restaurants in walking distance. It is about 8min or less by car from the "village" area of La Jolla where there are lots more restaurants and boutiques. The "village" area is closer to the Arenas St. location. The village is near La Jolla Cove where there are a series of small rock enclosed beacheswith a grassy park above, In terms of best ,I think LaJollaShores is a better beach for swimming surfing etc. but both are quite scenic and not far from one another. I don't know when they are coming so if NOT in the summer then the water will be quite cold for ocean swimming.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
295 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in La Jolla?

Hey fellow jayhawker! Either location would be pretty convenient. My husband used to live off Pearl St. and we used to always go the the beach right along there. The Wind and Sea Beach is also a nice beach a little to the south of Arenas St.

The Shores area is nice also. There is a little area with a few restaurants and a grocery store, next to the kayak rental shops.

La Jolla, CA
Level Contributor
228 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in La Jolla?

El Paseo Grande is likely to be the quieter location, and has a few restaurants, and a little shopping - mostly beachy/surfy things. There is a great, wide, sandy beach very close to that location. The houses here in general tend to be larger.

The Arenas location will be close to the town of La Jolla - lots of shops, lots of restaurants. If they want to walk to shopping, the main shopping street, Girard Avenue, is abut a half mile, and an easy walk. If shopping and restaurants are important, this is the location for them. There are two great beaches a few blocks from this location - Windansea to the southwest (wide sandy beach, big surfing spot) and the Cove (smaller pocket beaches surrounded by cliffs). The houses here tend to be smaller and a bit older.

They will be happy with either, I would guess

4. Re: Where to stay in La Jolla?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, September 16, 2009
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now