We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching Near La Jolla?

Niagara Falls, NY
Level Contributor
158 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Watching Near La Jolla?

In a recent posting, someone mentioned whale watching in the winter. We will be visiting mid-end of January and are interested in this. Does anyone have any futher information? Thx.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching Near La Jolla?

In La Jolla, there are several good whale watching spots. The bluffs above Black's Beach offer some good views. Try La Jolla Farms road: there is a small park (belongs to UCSD?) with a trail to the bluffs. Another good spot is the glider port on Torrey Pines Road.

Sometimes you can see the whales from the bluff by the Scripps Institute of Oceanography. Bring binoculars.

In January they offer whale watching boat trips with a "guaranty" that you will see whales. If you don't see them, you get a voucher for another boat trip. You can find these boats in the San Diego harbor. I haven't had much luck on the boat, but I have seen whales from shore (for free).

The whales are on their way south to Mexico, and often only surface for air. They usually do not breach, so spotting them is a bit harder than in Hawaii. Look for water spouts.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching Near La Jolla?

Oh, and I forgot that you can also view them from the Torrey Pines State Park.

3. Re: Whale Watching Near La Jolla?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, September 11, 2009