We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Jolla or Coronado? Home Base

LI NY
Level Contributor
437 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
La Jolla or Coronado? Home Base

Hi,

Were going to fly into San Diego and want to spend 2 nights,

can't decide between La Jolla or Coronado as a home base.

Was thinking about the Loews in Coronado. Were a couple in our late 40's.

Want to go to Balboa Park, see the tide pools, do some outdoor dining. We have a zoo here so skipping the zoo.

Can you suggest which one is better and the difference between the two. Thanks

Any other suggestions of things to do would be great also, while in the area.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,064 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Jolla or Coronado? Home Base

I have been thinking about your dilemma and I may have to make it worse !(sorry) I am having trouble figuring out which hotel in LaJolla to recommend IF you were to stay there. The hotels in th e"village" area, near the cove and the high end restaurants and shops,are very expensive(high $200s-300)and IF you get a room overlooking the street can be noisy. The less expensive hotesl there, like the BestWestern by the Sea,are more reasonable BUT certainly NOT 4****.

The seaside hotel at the nearby LaJollashores area is an older hotel but a great on beach location,but also NOT 4****

The newer 4**** hotels are outside of those areas about a 12-15min drive on cliffs overlooking the ocean.Iprefer the Lodge at Torrey Pines over LaEstancia BUT Estancia often has deals..These 2 are not walking distance to anyrestaurants but the Lodge is next to TorreyPines State Park.

The OTHER hotels that list LaJolla addresses ,are away from the ocean by about 12-15 min and in an area of condos and business (mostly financial) buildings but easy access to freeways and 20min form all the tourist attractons of downtown etc.

LajOlla is a neighborhood of the city and so has different parts with different atmosphere.

Coronado is small town across the bayfrom the city with a main street etc. TheLoews is 12 min outs ide the town area along a strip of peninsula like a very thin LongIsland .Imagine driving on a road where you can walkfrom the bay to the ocean,mayb elike LongBeach Island in NJ or th eroad to the Keys in Florida.

You might just as well pick a downtown hotel with views of the bay and stay there since you are only here for 2 days.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,064 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Jolla or Coronado? Home Base

I forgot to add,that you can stay downtown at one of the lovely hotels(there are many ). Our downntown is small an dpretty with places to walk along the bay.You dont need to rent a car until you are on your way out of town driving up to Laguna/Newport etc. On you rway you can stop in LaJollacove to walk and have a beautiful bkfts/brunch overlooking the ocean. That way you get to do everything and it's all easy!

LI NY
Level Contributor
437 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Jolla or Coronado? Home Base

Thanks for the info..

Downtown LaJolla or San Diego?

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: La Jolla or Coronado? Home Base

Tough choice - they're both fairly similar. Both upscale communities with charming downtown shops and nicebeaches. La Jolla is the more affluent. I've seen that the IRS has proclaimed La Jolla the wealthiest zip code (based on Adjusted Gross Income on tax returns), taking the honor over from Atherton CA several years ago. Coldwell Banker also said that for a "typical" family home (4 BR, 2.5 Ba, detached single family home), La Jolla was most expensive at $2.7 million. I love La Jolla (lived there 5 years). I had to make this exact chioce just this week but the hotel prices swayed me. The hotel prices on Coronado were over $300 per night and at the La Jolla Marriott (not close to downtown La Jolla or thebeach) they were $197, so we're going to stay in La Jolla. I don't recall any tide pools on Coronado but it's really spectacular to see the fighter jets roar in over your head on the beach. Because of low flying aircraft, no kite flying is allowed there though, as our kids found out. It's noisy but spectacular. Go north of La Jolla Shores to Scripps Institute for really nice tide pools.

I doubt any zoo compares to the San Diego Zoo. It's world famous for a reason and consistently ranks as the best zoo in the world. If you want a similar but different experience, try their Wild Animal Park near Escondido. part zoo, part safari style tram ride. Go to Cabrillo National Monument atop Point Loma for a wonderful view of San Diego, or you could also drive to the very top of Mt. Soledad in La Jolla for another birds eye view. Or you could visit Tijuana, which we might do next month, for a "unique" experience. You can also rent sailboats, bikes, and skates in Mission Bay.

Bottom line, you'll enjoy either place, so flip a coin. For the first time visitor, I'd recommend staying closer to La Jolla than we will be (La Jolla Village Drive) or else you won't feel the village charm of La Jolla. If you stay in Coronado, be sure to walk around the Hotel Del Coronado, maybe have a drink there. It's very picturesque. I've always wanted to stay there but I can stay two or three nights somewhere else for the same price so I've just been content walking around it when I want to see it.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,064 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Jolla or Coronado? Home Base

HI again, when I said "you can stay downtown at one of our lovely hotels"I meant downtown SanDiego. Look,both areas are only 20min apart so I'd find the nicest hotel with the best deal and since you are only here 2 days I wouldn't stress over which area.

6. Re: La Jolla or Coronado? Home Base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, September 04, 2009