We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a four wheel drive?

kona, hawaii
Level Contributor
81 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a four wheel drive?

Aloha from Hawaii.... I will be going to Kings Beach on Feb. 17 for a few days of skiing. I will be driving up from Oakland in a 1998 Cadillac. Will I be able to make it? Are the highways clear enough to get this old boat up there and what about the streets from Kings Beach to Squaw or Northstar? Will they be clear? I usually only go up in the summertime and don't want to get stuck in the Caddie which is the only car I have at my access but am willing to rent a 4 Wheel if necessary. Thanks for your help! Mahalo nui loa!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a four wheel drive?

Well this weekend the roads are super clear and expected to stay that way. The only time the roads are not clear is when it is actually snowing and the snow removal equipment can't keep up. It's not like the roads to and around the lake pile up with snow and the snow doesn't get removed.

So the question is actually not if a car - any car - can make the drive, because surely any vehicle that is road worthy can use the roads to and around Tahoe, but will it be snowing on Feb 17th in enough volume to require cars without 4 wheel drive to have chains on the tires? Look at a long range forecast and tehn keep your eye on the weather report as your trip gets closer and you will have your answer.

2. Re: Do I need a four wheel drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, September 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kings Beach