We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wang Fmly Compound-is it located between Pingyao & Taiyuan?

Which Pingyao County hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Wang Fmly Compound-is it located between Pingyao & Taiyuan?

We will be in Pingyao mid April for 2.5 days.

Our next stop after Pingyao is Datong, we will be flying out of Taiyuan to Datong at about 9:30 am. To make our airport departure easier, I'm thinking we should stay in Taiyuan the night before our flight, instead of Pingyao.

Should we hire a guide/driver in Pingyao to take us to the Wang compound, then on to Taiyuan where we will spend the night prior to our flight? If this makes logistical sense, it would "kill two birds with one stone", so to speak.

Any advice?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,283 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wang Fmly Compound-is it located between Pingyao & Taiyuan?

Yes this is doable, for a price.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wang Fmly Compound-is it located between Pingyao & Taiyuan?

Thanks Jean-Pierre!

ANYTHING is doable for a price......what do you think that price might be?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,283 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wang Fmly Compound-is it located between Pingyao & Taiyuan?

Not sure as when I did this I kept the driver most of the day but at the end he did not take us to Taiyuan, he dropped us at the Pingyao bus terminal. As I recall we paid 300RMB for this. But my point was, if you get a driver to Taiyuan you may as well use it to other places.

Edited: 12:18 pm, January 13, 2013
Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wang Fmly Compound-is it located between Pingyao & Taiyuan?

Jean-Pierre,

That's what I was thinking--just hire a driver for the day, leaving Pingyao fairly early, stopping at interesting points between there and Tiayuan.

As usual--thanks so much for your advice!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wang Fmly Compound-is it located between Pingyao & Taiyuan?

Wang Family Courtyard is in the opposite direction from Pingyao to Taiyuan airport. It is doable tho, just means you are back tracking a bit.

If you wanted to make a stop on the way between Pingyao & Taiyuan there is the Qiao Family courtyard residence. Its hugely popular with Chinese tourists because this is where Raise The Red Lantern was filmed. It is extremely well done & the displays have English translations with very good collections of museum quality antiques & objects.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wang Fmly Compound-is it located between Pingyao & Taiyuan?

annieandhamish--once again thank you for your thoughtful post.

We have secured a guide to take us from Pingyao to Taiyuan, stopping at the Qiao Compound along the way. We will also stop for lunch, and visit the Jinci Temple on our way into Taiyuan. Our guide will then drop us off at our hotel, where we will spend the night before our flight to Datong the next morning.

WHEW! This is like putting together a big jig-saw puzzle, but it's starting to come together--thanks to the great help and advice here on TripAdvisor.

TVQ

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wang Fmly Compound-is it located between Pingyao & Taiyuan?

LOL you are heaps welcome & thankyou for the kind words.

Just a thought, if your purpose of going to Taiyuan from Pingyao is to get a flight to Datong have you thought of taking the train from Pingyao to Datong so you dont have to double back to Taiyuan? Train travel in China is very interesting and you will get to see a bit of scenery.

There are 4 trains a day: I will list the prices for soft sleeper ( lower bunk) rather than soft seat as you will find them more comfortable & likely end up with the 4 person cabin to your self for most of the trip & be able to stretch out and have a Zzzz if you feel tired.

K7808. Depart 12.05 pm arrive 7.33 pm. Y125.

2601 / 2604. Depart 1.08 pm Arrive 9.16pm Y187

2461 / 2464 Depart 8.46pm Arrive 04.28am Y187. A bit inconvenient time wise but you will save the price of a night in a hotel.

2672. Depart 7.08am Arrive 3.21pm. Y187

Some trains can be a bit hard to get tickets so if you are going to Beijing first try & buy them from there. If not there are a few hostels or guesthouses in Pingyao who will book train tix for you.

Annie

London, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wang Fmly Compound-is it located between Pingyao & Taiyuan?

I visited Wang Family Compound last week and I think it is very worth visiting. Wang Family Compound is in Lingshi County and is about 40-minute-drive to Pingyao Ancient Town. From Pingyao Ancient Town to Taiyuan is about two hours. Then you can arrange your itinerary.

9. Re: Wang Fmly Compound-is it located between Pingyao & Taiyuan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, March 21, 2014