We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't leave your stuff unattended

Which Sihanoukville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
293 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Don't leave your stuff unattended

A couple of weeks ago I went fishing (trying anyway) on the rocks to the right of main beach (Ocheuteal - as you come to the pier you turn right and there are some rocks further way).

Some foreign guy came about 20/30 meters from me and left his stuff and went snorkling, I didn't think much of it until my hook got stuck in the rocks and I kept pulling hard and broke my cheap Chinese fishing rod (damn rubbish !), I turned around and saw a kid was stealing all his clothes and other stuff this guy left on the rocks.

I shouted and whistled but the kid disappeared like a jack-rabbit. The guy came out and went after him but that kid was so fast he was almost flying over the big rocks. There was no way to catch him.

Anyway, be careful around there, I think on the beach where the bars are it is not too bad but around that area, it is very isolated. I wonder if the kid knew this guy's routine and was waiting for him, because what are the chances that he was just passing by !?

I packed and left, sobbing at my own loss of hooks, line I had to cut and a broken rod, but I hope that guys didn't loose much.

Speaking to an ex-pat he said police probably knows all the kids stealing stuff in the area so if he goes to them and give description they probably can recover expensive stuff and can arrange a return for a fee !? (good to know !)

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't leave your stuff unattended

Best advice you have already outlined- "Do not leave your stuff unattended".

Thanks for the heads up!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't leave your stuff unattended

Same as everywhere else but usually you don't leave valuables lying about but clothes are another matter, where do you put them if you go for a swim?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't leave your stuff unattended

I travel solo so I usually have someone I know from the hotel, another tourist, to watch my stuff while I swim. Or have others on the beach who are obviously tourists to do it. All the hotels I have been staying in these past few years have clear warnings posted inside the rooms (or on the premises) "Do not leave valuables in the room unattended. / We are not responsible for lost items." These places hire numerous housekeepers etc so many have access to the room keys. I would never leave my money, camera or ipad in the room unattended. My tripod isn't particularly valuable, so Iock that up in my suitcase/backpack.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't leave your stuff unattended

Common sense.....some people just don't have any do they!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't leave your stuff unattended

You will never leave your stuffs unattended anywhere, there are too many strange people nowadays so you can trust no one really. Good to mention it again though for first time travelers to understand the situation around the area.

Regards,

Mini M

6. Re: Don't leave your stuff unattended

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 20, 2014