We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria in Sihanoukville

Which Sihanoukville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Basildon
1 post
Save Topic
Malaria in Sihanoukville

I am stopping off at Sihanoukville for just a few hours as part of a cruise holiday. Is it necessary to take anti-malarial tablets? Would rather not as I know you have to take them for weeks before and after a visit and as we are only stopping off briefly and not staying ashore overnight I would not want to take them unless necessary.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jenny

london
Level Contributor
156 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria in Sihanoukville

I too am interested in wether we need to take anti malaria medication. We are also on a cruise from Ho Chi Minh to Cambodia. Have got different advice from people who have travelled to Cambodia so a bit unsure at the moment.

Cathy

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria in Sihanoukville

you will always get different advise from travellers as there realy is no correct answer.there is a risk however small that is either acceptable to you or not,from a personnal point of view,i never bothered having lived all my life in either darwin,thailand or cambodia it would be more of a health risk for me to take anything over that long period of time,

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,662 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria in Sihanoukville

there are no meds available to protect against dengue fever so the only precaution for this nasty is to prevent bites - lots of repellant, long sleeves/pants etc. If you have to repel the dengue mozzies the malaria ones will be repelled too, why take chemicals?

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria in Sihanoukville

Going on our 3rd vist to Sihanoukville on Sunday to visit our son who lives there, have taken malaria tablets before but not bothering this time, had to visit Doctor last time over some thing else said he had only known 1 case in his number of years and there was no need to take them, sure you be fine for a day!!!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria in Sihanoukville

Bring bug spray, and use it! If you will be sleeping in a budget guesthouse (i.e. without A/C which mosquitoes hate!), they will provide mosquito nets.

Siem reap
Level Contributor
17 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria in Sihanoukville

Malaria is not endemic in Sihanoukville and it is not a problem even on Koh Rong Island, despite what local doctors say.

Just buy a Malarine package and start the treatment ONLY when the blood examination is tested positive to P. Falciparum

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,662 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria in Sihanoukville

#6....I would assume that if someone felt unwell enough to visit a doctor for a blood test then the doc you visit would prescribe whatever was necessary - why advise people to buy drugs like this without medical advice?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria in Sihanoukville

Indeed, Helen. You can get tetsed and treated at any clinic around the nation, self-medicating in this situation is never a good idea...

Burnley, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria in Sihanoukville

We are doing the same kind of trip. Our practice nurse recommended Malarone tablets. You only need to take them two days before arrival, for the duration of your stay (in our case one day) and then for 7 days afterwards. No great hardship if you want peace of mind! We bought ours from ASDA: cost £2.50 per tablet with no dispensing charge.

Enjoy your trip!

PJL

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,662 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria in Sihanoukville

'Practice nurse"...... does she have some qualifications and/or experience in tropical medicine? I agree that a TA forum is NOT the place to get medical advice but I would have thought a doctor is the person to ask?

Most medical practices (docs & nurses) have little, if any experience in tropical medicine and some only find out where Cambodia is by looking it up on a map - they've never been there. Plying your body with chemicals for 10 days for a one day visit sounds a bit OTT for me. And you still have to apply the bug spray because Dengue fever is not preventable with anti-malarials.