We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping near Tioga Pass outside Yosemite NP

Which June Lake hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pollock Pines...
Level Contributor
10 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Camping near Tioga Pass outside Yosemite NP

I'm looking for a shady campground with secluded sites near the eastern entrance to Yosemite National Park. I'm familiar with all the campgrounds at Mammoth Lakes but am looking for a campground closer to Yosemite. Are any specific sites at any campgrounds in the June Lake loop nice? Are there any other recommended campgrounds?

5 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,560 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping near Tioga Pass outside Yosemite NP

There are 10 Inyo National Forest campgrounds along the June Lake Loop, and they are listed under the Mono Lake Ranger District. I've never camped at any, but I've driven by them, and I think the prettiest location on that road is Silver Lake. Campgrounds on the June Lake Loop are approximately a 1-hour drive from the Tioga Pass entrance of Yosemite. The advantage of staying somewhere along the June Lake Loop is that there will be places to eat; and the tiny cafe at the privately-run Silver Lake Resort is locally known for their homemade breakfasts.

There are several more campgrounds off of CA State Route 120 (called Tioga Road within Yosemite) that lie between Lee Vining and the Tioga Pass entrance to Yosemite, and/or near Mono Lake. So there are quite a few choices for camping in the area, 19 campgrounds in the June Lake/Lee Vining/Tioga Pass region, if I counted correctly. I'm pretty sure that the Tioga Lake campground is the closest one to the Tioga Pass entrance of Yosemite, but none of them are all that far away, really.

For further information see:

On that last page linked above. click on "Campground camping," then scroll down to "Mono Lake Ranger District"

Edited: 6:51 pm, December 01, 2011
Anaheim Hills
Level Contributor
60 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping near Tioga Pass outside Yosemite NP

For the June Lake Loop area, Silver lake Campground is a decent choice. Only problem is most of the camp sites are in the open. Get one with some shade and your styling!

For being near Yosemite, Junction Campground at Tioga Pass is my choice. It's off the main road enough to be quiet and the camp sites are large and shaded. And in a great location. Dozen's of lakes and streams within a few miles and a old mine buildings close by. It is about one mile to the Yosemite entrance.

June Lake...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping near Tioga Pass outside Yosemite NP

There are high-elevation campgrounds just outside the Yosemite Park gate at Tioga Lake and Ellery Lake as well. Then there is the Big Bend campground along Lee Vining Creek, which is at a lower elevation with big trees: very nice. The shadiest campgrounds in the June Lake Loop are Reversed Creek and Gull Lake.

Birmingham, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping near Tioga Pass outside Yosemite NP

Are you able to book any of these campsites in advance, worried about turning up in peak season and there not being any space available. If so, could you please direct me to how to book these, looking at going first week of August, thanks.

Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping near Tioga Pass outside Yosemite NP

The closest ones east of Yosemite (Tioga Lake, Saddlebag Lake, Junction, Ellery Lake, and Big Bend) are not reserveable.

This site will give you more information:

I suggest you try for reserved spots at Tuolumne Meadows campground in Yosemite. Your best bet for any campground is to avoid having to be there on a weekend, including a Friday.

Reply to: Camping near Tioga Pass outside Yosemite NP
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted