We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questinos about June Lake Loop area

Which June Lake hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Questinos about June Lake Loop area

We'll be heading to Yosemite via the Tioga Pass entrance as usual this summer. We have 2 nights to fill before our first reserved night at Tuolumne Lodge. Generally we spend one night in Lee Vining before entering the park, but with 2 nights I wonder if we should try June Lake area instead?

If so, what would you recommend for lodging? Double Eagle is way more than we want to spend. What about either Gull Lake Lodge or Whispering Pines? Is one better than the other for location and views (lake or mountain)?

And what about June Lake village---is ther a grocery store if we book at Gull Lake and want to cook? What is the favorite restaurant in the area for dinner---or should we drive up to the Whoa Nellie where we usually get our dinner?

Finally, what about hiking right from that area? With 2 nights we'll have a full day between, and could spend it hiking from thee instead of driving into Yosemite and back. We would be looiking for something scenic, 8 to 10 miles or so, and up to 3,000 feet of elevation gain. My Yosemite hiking books don't seem to cover this area.

Thanks for your help!

Edited: 4:27 pm, January 26, 2011
Anaheim Hills
Level Contributor
60 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Questinos about June Lake Loop area

All the hikes mentioned by mini allow dogs. Just no dogs allowed in Yosemite. The one to Parker Lake I highly recommend! A nice moderate hike to a beautiful lake! I’ve taken my dogs many times on hikes around June Lake. Just make sure they are under your control or have them leased.

A recent picture of Parker Lake

…photobucket.com/user/wshawkins/media/def213…

Edited: 11:35 am, August 06, 2013
June Lake...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Questinos about June Lake Loop area

Sure dogs are allowed anywhere in the June Lake area, and Inyo National Forest, but not within Yosemite Park.

1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Questinos about June Lake Loop area

How about ranking June Vs.Oh! Ridge vs. Silver Lake campgrounds for a solo traveler with a tent?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
23,419 posts
5,364 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Questinos about June Lake Loop area

Maria T - Just so you know this question was asked in 2011 - which is about 3 years ago.

Since you are new, the date is listed by the original question and this case 26 January 2011.

Best and welcome to trip advisor.

15. Re: Questinos about June Lake Loop area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, August 17, 2015