We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

star gazing - Joshua Tree or Catalina Island

Which Joshua Tree hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Central Illinois
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
star gazing - Joshua Tree or Catalina Island

Planning an anniversary trip for next March, and need advice. For star gazing, can anyone compare Joshua Tree and Catalina for me?? I'm thinking greater elevation at JT gives it an edge - but is it a BIG edge? If budget limits my trip, I may have to pick between the 2 and want to make an informed decision. ALSO - any concerns with JT and safety after dark or going out for viewing sunrise?? We plan to stay in Palm Springs, if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,240 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: star gazing - Joshua Tree or Catalina Island

Joshua Tree since there is no chance for coastal fog there like you'll most likely see at Catalina.

Central Illinois
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: star gazing - Joshua Tree or Catalina Island

thanks - excellent point

Follow-up question: Any advice on staying in 29 palms area Vs Palm Springs? I'm thinking of a couple of nites each place - allowing a fair sample of nite life in PSP and stars at nite at Joshua Tree. Thoughts?? It will take some $$, but we're saving now.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,240 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: star gazing - Joshua Tree or Catalina Island

Well, I've never stayed at Twentynine Palms yet have been there. I think your idea of spreading the wealth a little bit and spending time in both Palm Springs and 29 sounds good. The night life at Palm Springs is great but the star gazing from there can be ruined by light pollution.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: star gazing - Joshua Tree or Catalina Island

My adult children just came back from camping at Joshua Tree this past weekend. They couldn't get over the stars in the sky. We thought the stars were pretty good in Palm Desert last month from the golf course condo, but they had an extremely clear view out in JT.

Central Illinois
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: star gazing - Joshua Tree or Catalina Island

Thanks a bunch. This helps put me at ease, given that it's a 'surprise' trip for my wife - she knows we're going somewhere, but has no idea where. I may give her some info around Sept/Oct, if it appears we'll need to choose between TV shows to get advance tickets. I LOVED PSP when I had a conference there 5 yrs back, and I'm sure the desert will be TREMENDOUS. I'm HOPING to get to Catalina for 2/3 nites, plus LA for 3/4.... lots of hopping around, but she's never been to CA, so I'm wanting to hit beach, desert, LA sites, plus PSP's Thursday nite street fest. Wish me luck! AGAIN - many thanks!!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: star gazing - Joshua Tree or Catalina Island

Sounds like you have a good plan, and mixture of things for her to see in CA. Check out the Pavilion Lodge for Catalina. It's right in the heart of Avalon, and has a nice patio and lawn with lounge chairs.

visitcatalinaisland.com/avalon/hote_pavilion…

7. Re: star gazing - Joshua Tree or Catalina Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 26, 2009