We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
which hotel

we have one night in Jamestown before spending the day exploring Gold Country and wondered which hotel is recommended. We like the National and Jamestown hotels on Main Street - which of these is good. Is Jamestown a good place to stay or should be carry on to Columbia. Cheers Angie

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,303 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which hotel

These are both wonderful towns. Lots of historic atmosphere; you'll feel like you are in an old Western movie!

I have not actually stayed in a Jamestown hotel for years; once I stayed in one which is no longer a hotel but now houses a Harley-Davidson dealership (yes, for those who don't realize it, that was a hotel and the deck upstairs was a guest sitting area).

I love Columbia. It's one of my getaways from the Bay Area, and you've reminded me that I haven't been since winter and it's time to go again. The main part of town is a state historic park and cars have to park outside (very short walk), so you really get a feel for what it was like in the Gold Rush period. There are also living history activities: stagecoach rides, gold panning (in a tank, not a stream), and shops in historic buildings with candy making, candle dipping, and maybe my favorite, the blacksmith shop. See the websites for the variety of special events.

There is a great little museum on the main street. I hope it will stay open (you've heard threats about closures of state parks for budgetary reasons); the shops and restaurants are private businesses so they will carry on.

Columbia has two historic hotels, the Columbia City Hotel (right "downtown") and the Fallon (just off the main street). The Fallon also contains a live stage theatre, where the Sierra Repertory performs.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=552

http://www.columbiacalifornia.com/index.html

http://www.sierrarep.com/

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which hotel

Thanks for all your helpful comments, I have tried to investigate the hotels in Columbia with no success can't find any websites at all, any ideas. Also, in Jamestown, how busy will it be in October, would Columbia be likely to be busier? I like a few people around. cheers Angie

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,479 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which hotel

We have stayed both in Jamestown and in Columbia. Both are musts for a visit to the Gold Country. But I would stay at the National Hotel in Jamestown.

It is historic, dating from 1859, so don't expect a four star hotel, but a charming one. It only has 9 units so don't put off making reservations. It may seem a little 'funky' to you, but its atmosphere is real old wild west.

AAA gives it three diamonds with this comment..."You will find outstanding accommodations and lovely service in this prize historical hotel, built in 1859."

In Columbia, there is the Columbia City Hotel in the historic district. This is an 1856 hotel, now run by the park service.

Here is the website.

gordonsguide.com/resorts/…index.cfm

Columbia is definitely a must, but I really prefer staying in Jamestown because it is a "real" town, not an historic district.

When we stayed in Columbia the only other options, besides the hotel in the park, were nondescript motels outside it.

Enjoy your trip.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,303 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which hotel

:)

Puter and I each have our preferences. There is much to be said for either category of accommodation. Puter likes Jamestown because it's a real town; I like Columbia because it's a real historic site. You'll have to decide which you prefer, but I don't think you can go wrong in either because they are both wonderful towns. Outside of the historic Columbia area are two motels: the Columbia Inn is across the road from the state park and the Columbia Gem is a mile west on Parrott's Ferry Road. I've stayed at both and they are neither the lap of luxury nor dumps.

Jamestown and Columbia are about 4 miles apart. Near Jamestown is Railtown 1897, a CA state historic park with steam trains that you can ride.

www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=491

Beyond Columbia are other charming Mother Lode towns like Angel's Camp and Murphys, and up in the mountains is Calaveras Big Trees State Park.

www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=551

If you are going to Yosemite, you may decide not to go as far as Big Trees; the road is narrow, curvy, and steep--to my mind, the most rigorous of the trans-Sierra state highways.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which hotel

Columbia has been in the news lately around here.

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/748814.html

The main Concessionaire has pulled out.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,303 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which hotel

Oh, that is not good news. :^(

I wonder if the Governator's threat to cut off state park funds had anything to do with this.

If so, it's just another illustration of how short-sighted, illogical, and economically stupid it is to close state parks to "economize." Any potential savings will be nuliified by the negative impacts to neighboring communities, businesses, and residents, and to the overall economy of California.

But Columbia as a town won't fold. People will still live there, businesses will still operate.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which hotel

Thanks for your very helpful insights and we have decided to go for Jamestown,esp also because of all the uncertainties around Columbia, we feel for everyone with these threats of closures, cuts are threatened everywhere in UK at the moment, it's an uncertain time for us all sad to say. But I'm sure they can't kill off the enterprising nature of the American people and YOU WILL BE BACK Cheers Angie

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,479 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which hotel

BUT...don't miss a visit to Columbia, since the two are so near each other. We had a snack in the bar of the hotel one night and we felt as if we were back in the 1850's.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,303 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which hotel

What Puter said...be sure to visit Columbua.

I go there often; it is one of my getaways from the Bay Area. Lately I've stayed a few times at Columbia Inn, across the road from the actual state historic site, mostly for economy. And I always take a walk in town at night, for the atmosphere.

As I said, cars are kept off the main street, so it's like a true Old West town. You can see and hear the activity at the City Hotel and other establishments (oooh, I hope they find a concessioner to keep that wonderful place open!). As you look in the closed shop windows and stroll along the board streets, it's like being in your own Western movie! You feel like Marshal Dillon or Miss Kitty from the old American TV series "Gumsoke."

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,479 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which hotel

What Frisco Roadrunner said.

Don't miss it.

Get answers to your questions about Jamestown