We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

Which Huntington Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
532 posts
13 reviews
Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

We start our trip in Santa Monica for 3 nights!!! I think this will be the type of place my kids love....shopping, shopping, shopping!!!! Really I think they'll just love the whole vibe of the place... We then drive to SF and come back to Anaheim and Downtown for the JB concert. We then have 4 nights that I want to spend relaxing, shopping, dining etc... My husband would like to walk out the front door of the hotel and be at a cafe etc....Looking at the strip from Huntington to Newport!!! At first l thought Newport, but l am not that impressed with the hotels there!!! Which is the area most similar to Santa Monica and is accessible to good shopping and cafes? Any information would be greatly appreciated

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
163 reviews
21. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

Here's a photo of Luigi's. It's what I call a cafe:

http://www.luigishb.com/index.html

Edited: 12:19 am, January 15, 2013
Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
23 reviews
22. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

Eatery instead of cafe might be a better word choice. I think its the vibe that differentiates us from Laguna Beach.

Here is what I dont like.

I DONT like the sales racks of clothing on the sidewalks in front of Jacks and HSS. I think it trashes up Main Street.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
43,073 posts
412 reviews
23. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

I also liked the "old" Main St much better. Maybe because it was because I was younger, but it has always grated on me that they condemned private property and took it by eminent domain not for public use, like a school or park, but to give to other private landowners just because they didn't like what was there.

It led to the demise of great spots like the Golden Bear and the other spots that had character.

But I digress.

Cafe for me evokes the sidewalk cafes of Nice, Paris, Berlin etc with light fare and I don't get that vibe in HB.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
163 reviews
24. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

Dogs, I SO agree with you about those clothes racks. It also makes the sidewalk area unsafe for pedestrians. Since we now have a new citizen responsive city council, perhaps it is time to mention this to them.

New York
Level Contributor
930 posts
8 reviews
25. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

You will love Santa Monica...great vibe. Make sure you go to Venice your kids will love it and you won't see anything like it anywhere. The advice here is good regarding Huntington Beach...I've stayed here and it has a great vibe with the town and surfers. However I suggest you go to the Newport Beach board and look at some of the advice there. Newport beach is so beautiful and very diverse with Corona Del Mar, Balboa Peninsula, and especially Balboa Island. This is a must see whether you stay in Newport or not...wonderful eclectic shops and houses that you are magnificant. You can take a Harbor cruise also.You need to research the area to get an idea. You might want to look into rentals on VRBO, I agree I'm not keen on most of the hotels. Laguna is also a good suggestion...absolutely beautiful and town with the shops and cafes you are looking for. You can stay there or daytrip from Newport and Huntington...everything is very close.

New York
Level Contributor
930 posts
8 reviews
26. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

Check out the Loew's in Santa Monica directly on the beach and next to the pier...you can take the shuttle to the Promanada and Venice which you will love...Huntington is wonderful also..maybe you could do both

27. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Huntington Beach