We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day only, beach is too crowded ??

Central
7 posts
Save Topic
one day only, beach is too crowded ??

Good Morning all, My husband and I are excited to have ONE FULL DAY in Huntington, for when we were there last year it was a lovely day at the beach -however, that was OCTOBER. There is no way we are spening the day at the beach in July with all the people! So...

please...

What can we do for an entire day??

We are healthy middle aged non drinkers, and open to any suggestions, including a place to get a good vegetarian meal -

THANK YOU for your prompt response!!

Dayna

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day only, beach is too crowded ??

Geez ..that could be a hard one to answer as the Orange County coastal areas are prime tourist destinations for the summer. Unless you coming on the week of the 4th, I cant imagine ALL of the sand on HB beaches being incredibly packed but it will be busy but not as busy as the month of August or the 4th week. Wow...Even Dog Beach in HB will be busy!

Did you try Jans Health bar on Main Street while you were here last time? It is a tiny place but very , very popular with the locals.

Maybe you might like taking a walk on Balboa Pier, taking the ferry over and then seeing the Wedge in Newport. But gosh..that will be busier too. You could then drive down the coast as it is a wonderful drive all the way to Laguna Beach. Do some shopping at Fashion Island, maybe some of the shops in Corona del Mar too, stopping at the Beachcomber in Crystal Cove for lunch and shopping some more in the "village" at Main Beach, Laguna Beach..but oops! again all prime tourist destinations in OC because they are great places to see!

Ok...how about taking a gondola ride in Newport Beach, peeking into all the bazillion dollar homes along the harbor? Just the two of you in the gondola?

Mentioned in this post
Orange County
Orange County
California
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,558 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day only, beach is too crowded ??

went to crystal cove last year in august, it was pretty quiet, only about 25 people on the beach.

the restaurant seemed full though.it was a really nice beach!

SoCal
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: one day only, beach is too crowded ??

H.B. has a "BIG" beach that extends from just north of Newport through Bolsa Chica (about 10 miles), so there's always room. Park north of downtown on a side street (between 10th and Goldenwest) and you'll find a spot. Stay away from the pier and dog beach (past Goldenwest)...too many people. Here, you'll be within walking distance to downtown.

There's a veggie place on Main St. past Orange on the left (from the beach). You can also get good tofu substitute at Noka Oi on Main St. Great Breakfast-Hawaiian food.

Spending an entire day in Huntington only may be difficult unless you surf or are staying at a hotel. Downtown is the best in O.C. for people watching but since you don't drink...maybe split time and head either north to Belmont Shore or south to Laguna Beach. Good luck...

Mentioned in this post
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Central
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: one day only, beach is too crowded ??

Thank you so much for these responses - we still do not know what to do except we know we want to be as far away from people as paossible - i mean a few here and there are fine, but we want absolutely no crowds...

After reading these posts, now we need a map of huntington beach - any way we can get one before we get there anyplace?

Keep the posts coming please! We will be there in a couple weeks.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day only, beach is too crowded ??

HB Visitors Guide

nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/huntingtonbeachcvb/vg08/

PAGE 78 is a map

What to do

WWW.SURFCITYUSA.COM

Jans Health Food Bar is on the left side of Main Street(this is what previous poster is talking about) It has been there for years and has a great reputation!

SoCal
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: one day only, beach is too crowded ??

Another thing if you lead a healthy lifestyle and want to avoid people would be to take the nature hike trail at Bolsa Chica just north of town. It's ranked the easiest hike in OC (no elevation), but there plenty of birds to see and photograph. It's also recently been revamped w/ more trails. Park at PCH and Warner at the visitor's center. Good for a couple hours to kill....website probably online.

Central
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: one day only, beach is too crowded ??

Hello again all,

We found out we will be passing thru on July 12, Saturday at noon, and stay overnight and leave July 13 Sunday afternoon. So....

I need a place for things to do Saturday, as well as two places to eat - one lunch, one supper.

Sunday we are going to go to the beach at about 7 am to avoid the crowds (will that work? surely people are not there at 7 are they?)

Dayna

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one day only, beach is too crowded ??

Supper?...keeping in mind you don't like big crowds, I would recommend Spark Wood-fire Grill http://sparkwoodfiregrill.com/

It is a bit pricey but really nice an intimate. Located upstairs across from the beach but with views of the beach and pier. Watching the sunset would be wonderful. They even have a veranda which would be special to sit at to see that sunset.

Lunch? Several suggestions. If you want to be on the beach boardwalk there is a new place that serves breakfast and lunch on the beach called Kokomo's Surfside Grill. It is a concession but they serve great restaurant quality food at great prices...(breakfast is really good..I like the Morning Cristos or blueberry pancakes) If you go in the morning, (they open at 7:30) it will be pretty peaceful. By 9:30 it changes. Best part is...your one the beach! It is located at the 1st Street entrance and turn left. Savannah's is nice too..more upscale and a real restaurant. It is next to the pier. If you want Mexican food, I like Fred's Mexican Cafe which is also upstairs next to Sparks but has a different entrance all together....or further up the street is Smokin Mo's. Since it is further up Main Street it is less crowded. I chose these based on the crowds and quality of food. Other popular choices are Ruby's at the end of the pier, Sugar Shack or BJ's Pizzeria..those places will be really busy!!

Mentioned in this post
Kokomo's Surfside Grill
Kokomo's Surfside Grill
9 Reviews
Huntington Beach, CA
Fred's Mexican Cafe
Fred's Mexican Cafe
467 Reviews
Huntington Beach, CA
Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: one day only, beach is too crowded ??

Oh..better say that I purposely didn't write about Dukes which is above Savannah's on the Beach. They too have a veranda and serve steaks and seafood. Every time I eat there, I never think the food is worth the price..and sometimes the noise from the bar crowd is overwhelming to the diners. I never leave with that "wow" feeling...and I think the brunch is absolutely not worth it. Just my opinion though!

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: one day only, beach is too crowded ??

oh..and another thing...I will leave you alone after this..promise!

Here are some things going on Sunday the 13th.

HB Pro/Am Surf Series Surfing Competition

Huntington Beach Surf Series features professional surfers competing for prize money. This competition is US Surfing Federation sanctioned and is owned and operated by world-class surf champion, Jeff Deffenbaugh and his brother Barry. The public is invited to attend this exciting and popular Surf City sporting event. By the pier.

Pier Plaza's Summer Sunday Concert Series

These free concerts are sponsored by the City of Huntington Beach and include outdoor seating in the cement amphitheater and grass lawn. Bring blankets and chairs if you like. All Concerts Are FREE!

Surfing Sounds Part II: Jan and Dean

411 Olive Ave.

Huntington Beach, CA 92648

714-960-3483

www.surfingmuseum.org

April 20, 2008 to July 31, 2008

Every week on Sun., Mon., Tue., Wed., Thurs., Fri., Sat. (12 p.m. to 5 p.m.)

The International Surf Museum presents Surfing Sounds Part II: Jan and Dean. Featuring memorabilia from the band, plus original art by Huntington Beach resident Dean Torrence.

AND

July 13th, 1pm to 4pm - The Neptunes and the Pyronauts