We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing on Hermosa

Reading Berkshire
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing on Hermosa

From UK planning a trip to CA next summer. Teenage son keen boogie boarder would like to try surfing. Is Hermosa Beach a good area for beginners? How does Hermosa Beach compare with Redondo? Thanks

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing on Hermosa

I think it's a little easier to surf in Hermosa. Redondo has a marina and breakwater wall that interferes with surfing in the northern parts of the town. I don't surf, though, so I'm not certain.

Hermosa Beach, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing on Hermosa

They give lessons in Manhattan Beach and the surf is better there -- in Hermosa, the waves break fairly close to shore so it's a tough place to learn. Manhattan is just north of Hermosa. It's only another five or ten minutes to get there and it's a great place to learn. Have a great trip. I live here in Hermosa and it's a wonderful town... but the surf is better in Manhattan for sure.

Mentioned in this post
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,246 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing on Hermosa

My son has been boogie boarding/surfing in Manhattan Beach for 20 years right near the pier. It's the best there. However, all three cities, Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo are good vacation places.

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: Surfing on Hermosa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Hermosa Beach
Recent Conversations