We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary help

Which Healdsburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary help

We will be driving from Northern California. My husband wants to play the Links at Bodega and I want to visit some wines in the Alexander Valley area. I know nothing of this area, but tasted a Pellegrini wine and loved it. We have a very limited time (2 days, perhaps an extra half if I get my way). We will be in the area around July 24th or so.

Questions:

What is the best route to take off I5?

Is the Links at Bodega worth playing?

What town to stay in? We were thinking of Santa Rosa, but it's too much a city.

Open to any suggestions.

Many thanks,

Sandra

Level Contributor
34,748 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary help

We really love the Healdsburg area, I don't know what your budget for lodging is but we have enjoyed stays at the Inn @ the Plaza which is a small, intimate venue and the Hotel Healdsburg which is a full scale resort. Let me know if you have any specific questions on either of these properties.

If you stay in Santa Rosa, the Hotel La Rose gets good reviews here, the Vintner's Inn is also a nice choice in Santa Rosa if you want a larger hotel. Have fun! :)

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary help

This is a tough one because of your limited amount of time and the things you and your husband want to do are nearly 90 min's apart from one another (Alexander Valley and Bodega Bay)--isn't that always the way things go! The best advice I can give is stay in a mid-way kind of location which would put you in the Forestville/Guerneville area. That would mean about a 45 min. drive to the Alexander Valley and to Bodega Harbour from your place of lodging.

For lodging (altho' I don't have any ideas of what price range or type of place you want): The Sonoma Orchid Inn (www.sonomaorchidinn.com) is a charming inn loc'd in a rural area next to Korbel Vineyards bet. Forestville and Guerneville (off River Rd. in a very scenic area. Others would be Case Ranch Inn (www.caseranchinn.com) in the Forestville area, and Santa Nella House (www.santanellahouse.com) in the Russian River area. All are quite nice, and moderately priced (for Sonoma County). Make reserv's ASAP. Summer weekends are very busy and small inns book up quickly. I hope you can stay 2 nights since many require that as a minimum if you check in on a Fri. or Sat. night.

Bodega Harbour golf course is the jewel of the north coast. If you can only play one course on the coast, Bodega Harbour is it. Challenging championship quality course with incredible ocean views that actually make up for things if you happen to play poorly. Play as early as you can in the morning before the winds come up.

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary help

Look at Windrose Romantic Cottages

http://www.windroseromanticcottages.com

Unique wine country experience. 4 cottages & a Water Tower

Have many comp. tastings and discounts on wine that can save you. Buy from local farmers markets, come back bbq or cook, and have a great bottle of wine from the area.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary help

Thanks to all of you.

What if we stayed up in the Alexander Valley area, did the wineries for a day 2 days and then the day we left, drove to the Bodega Golf course, played and then continued down towards southern California.

Would that put us in Healdsburg for lodging? I was thinking around $200 or less for a night. I know that's being cheap, but due to the other things we need to do on our holiday, we want to keep lodging costs lower. Hard when I see so many wonderful places to stay. We are not big on the Victorian style B&B, but if it's absolutely fabulous I can look past the decor.

Does anyone have a suggestion about the fastest route to take from I5 when traveling southbound.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,857 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary help

The most reasonable route to get to that area from I5 is probably to take Hwy 128 from Winters. This would take you, in 50 miles to Calistoga, from where you would take the Petrified Forest and Mark West Springs Road and end up north of Santa Rosa. This last is a winding road which goes over the hills from the Napa Valley.

san francisco
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary help

hi! i highly recommend staying at a vacation home rental...or even renting just a quaint little cottage in the redwoods in the healdsburg area. the best ppl to call would be the ones who offer value, superb customer service (they even have a "mobile front desk"), will work with you and rates, and makes it as painless as possible! contact the sonoma county vacations team and ask for the marketing director, she'll hook you up and even help you with area info, places to eat, things to do... very helpful! good luck! i highly recommend visiting the DRY CREEK VALLEY...wines are unbelievable. west dry creek and dry creek roads, it's like being in little italy or france. take care! all of their vacation homes are on here and as you can see from the reviews, its a trustworthy company.

www.sonomacountyvacations.com or 800-454-6674 and 707-433-8899

Happy trails! :)

Healdsburg, CA
Level Contributor
476 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary help

The Healdsburg area is very convienent to the Alexander Valley, and there are lots of nice lodging options. If you don't prefer the Victorian options, I would look into the Healdsburg Inn on the Plaza. In the Alexander Valley, some of my favorite wineries are Hawks, Stryker Sonoma, Robert Young (Be sure to see the wine caves!) and for a tour Jordan and Lancaster Estate are wonderful options, but be sure to book any tours in advance (you won't need a reservation for just a tasting at most places).

The Jim Town Store is a great place in the Alexander Valley to stop for lunch as well.

Westside Road to River Road is a beautiful drive from Healdsburg towards HWY 1, which will take you to Bodega. From there, depending on where your next destination is, you can follow HWY 1 South to San Francisco, which will also take you past Muir Woods, a great Redwood State Park.

Innkeeper Mandie

Honor Mansion

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,857 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary help

Actually there is a better redwood grove on your way to Bodega Bay, at Guerneville before you get to the coast. It would be much easier to get into than Muir Woods and much less crowded. Amstrong Grove Redwoods Natural Preserve.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=450

Healdsburg, CA
Level Contributor
476 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary help

Actually, Puter makes a great point and Armstrong Woods would be a great stop along the way!

Crestline...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary help

Just AVOID HOTWIRE.COM. I bought a "3-star" room and had to leave (American's Best Value had loud drunks and truckers). I ended up in Santa Rosa, central to a lot of wineries. Hyatt Vineyard Creek had the most professional staff I've encountered in California, lovely gardens, quiet hot tubs, and wine sampling at sunset.