We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting wine home

Minneapolis
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting wine home

I am planning a trip to Healdsburg and was wondering what the best way would be to get wine I purchase home. Is there a UPS or something similar around Healdsburg that could ship wines back at a reasonable price? Or do wineries offer shipping?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting wine home

You cannot go to UPS Distribution Center and ship your wine to yourself.

You can use a local UPS store, though. If the charges exceed $60 per 12 bottles, then that is too much.

Two services that supply shipping are "All Ways Cool", and "Wine Country Shipping" . They should come in at the $60 fee. You will be charged for a shipper (box). Extra insurance is not a good investment.

Mosey on down to The Bottle Barn at 3331 Industrial Blvd in Santa Rosa. Buy discounted wines there by the score! They charge about $45 per case for shipping. But you pay no California sales tax! Another $7.50 for the shipper, if my memory serves me right. AND - then tell them about all the other wines you have purchased at the wineries. Ask them to ship these to you, too.

No problem! But you cannot go to the back side where UPS is located, and have them do it.

I purchased a shipper from the Bottle Barn, packed a case myself, and checked it in at the airport as my last remaining free luggage.

You may also stuff bottles inside luggage that will be checked in.

Healdsburg
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting wine home

Hi

I live in Healdsburg.

Fitch Mountain Packaging is on Center Street. If your facing the Post Office which sits on the corner of Center and North St, look and walk to your left. pass: the bank, ravenous restaurant, wine country computers, directly behind wine country computers is Fitch Mountain Packaging

They handle all the wine shipments out of Healdsburg for both wineries and the tourists. Ok 99% of the wine shipments.

There is a ups shipping store in the Vineyard Plaza (Safeway Plaza) but Vicki at Fitch Mountain is the standard route for what leaves town.

Have fun.

P.S. Bottle Barn is a great stop if your limited on time, the wine buyers are excellent, the supply enormous. And on the back side of Bottle Barn is the walk in center for UPS shipping, on the bottle barn side is the truck load entrance hence no obvious walk in service on that side.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting wine home

ccSBeer:

Isn't Fitch Mountain and All Ways Cool under the same umbrella?

I used to get my shipments via Fitch Mountain. They would pick up from the wineries for me, and have it shipped. Now it comes thru All Ways Cool.

Healdsburg
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting wine home

Hi-

Interesting. I really don't know on that score. But have had a corporate account with FMP for all the years they have been in business in Hburg and Santa Rosa. They use to have their santa rosa store very near bottle barn, her husband ran that one. I have never received a statement with the other name your mentioning. The sign out front is FMP.

Have been in twice this week already, I am going to ask her...

S.

MA
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting wine home

ITt depends on the state you are shipping to,\

We carreid out 3 empty carriers on the plane and wanted to ship it home rather than lug it, we went to aUPS store and they do not ship any wine period, regarless of the state.

But somehow soem wineries will ship to illegal states

It is a big mystery to me

Only way woudl be to package it up and lie about what was in the box.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting wine home

bump for kod

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting wine home

I used to always travel with at least a 4 pack as carry on when I went on vacation. Friends and family love it when you show up at their door with a wonderful obscure bottle.

Since the carry on restrictions have gone into place, that makes it more difficult. I have successfully checked a 12 pack from Portland, OR to Oakland on Alaska last fall. This spring I successfully checked a 6 pack from Oakland to Ft. Myers, FL. on American with a stop in DFW.

Both were the stirofoam type packages with "Fragile" stickers on all six surfaces. The draw back is it is a pita to lug it to and from the airport.

I haven't done this - yet - but I've been told if you put a wine shipping box in another camouflage box and tell UPS it is printer's ink you should be OK. imo, if you are shipping it to yourself, it's nobody's business but yours and you should be able to insure it.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,413 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting wine home

I just returned from a week of wine tasting in Healdsburg. I had 12 bottles that I wanted to take home. The shippers wanted to charge 92 dollars to ship to Florida...two day air was the only way they would ship at this time of the year. I went to the Seghesio tasting room, which is very close to the square and bought a shipping box. Much cheaper there than anyplace else, and their wine is fantastic. I put my various bottles of wine in the box, taped it up and checked it with my baggage. It arrived with me on the plane, no problem. Most wineries do offer shipping and their charges are usually a lot less than if you try to ship yourself, but if you are looking to have bottles from various vineyards, I'd recommend taking a box on the plane.

Limey

Kannapolis NC
Level Contributor
55 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting wine home

Many wineries sell 6 or 12 pack cardboard boxes with styrofoam or eggcrate packing material for $5-10. Buy a roll of shipping tape and a Sharpie at a drug store. Pack it up with your wine bottles and write "Fragile" all over it and your address. Check it on the plane as luggage. My box was one of the first items on the luggage carousel without a dent or a crack. Granted we had a direct flight, which makes it less risky. Better than paying over $50 for a shipping service to mail it to you.

10. Re: Getting wine home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, September 03, 2009