We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Half Moon Bay to Los Angeles

Which Half Moon Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
11 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Half Moon Bay to Los Angeles

Hi all. I will be going to Half Moon Bay for a conference next month, and was thinking of taking my rental and driving down to Los Angeles - has anyone done this, and how's the drive? How long would it take me to hit LA on a weekday? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Half Moon Bay to Los Angeles

The length of the drive depends on the route you take. The long scenic route down highway 1 and 101 takes 10 to 12 hours depending on how often you stop and sightsee. If you are in a hurry you can get to LA in six or seven hours by cutting over to I-5. The I-5 traffic moves at 70 to 80 mph but the scenery is dull (flat farmland and ranches).

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Half Moon Bay to Los Angeles

Agree with RBCal. If you do need to take the quicker route (I-5), springtime can be lovely with budding almond trees; greening up of the grape vines, trees and new plantings, plus newborn calf, goat and sheep groups. The air smells of spring and is so refreshing. If you do have the time, however, the coastal route is spectacularly beautiful.