We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around during Pumpkin Festival

CA
1 post
Save Topic
Getting around during Pumpkin Festival

We are coming in Friday afternoon and staying the weekend to avoid the traffice into town on Saturday. We're staying at the Beach House and have dinner reservations for Friday and Saturday night, so I think we're ok in that respect. Does HMB have taxis??? I'm wondering if that might be a better way to handle the traffice and parking headaches. I guess I could call the hotel and ask them, but this forum had so much good information, I thought I'd add a topic.

Thanks for your help.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around during Pumpkin Festival

Good thinking...coming in Friday afternoon will save you time and stress.

Recommend that you NOT count on any one of our three or four taxis but rather get an early start (8-9 a.m.) from the Beach House (about 5 miles to HMB). Find parking on the south side of HMB, e.g., go to the James Ford dealership on Hwy. 1 (Cabrillo Hwy.) turn left and go to the Main St. side (vehicle storage) then start working your way back northerly, up and down residential streets attempting to get closer and closer to closed off Main St. You will see folks waving you into private empty spaces, lots and driveways, charging anywhere from $5 to $10. You may be able to find free street parking running parallel to Main St., west and east sides, early. Try to get as close to Kelly and Main St. as you can for the HMB High School pancake and sausage breakfast (outdoors) at MacDutra park. Good spot to see the parade as well. It is easier to leave if you park on the west side of Main St. for access back to Hwy. 1. Try to avoid Hwy. 92.

Some folks park in the Rite Aid, Peet's Coffee, Ernie's Liquor and Popeye Chicken shopping center and walk about 1/2 mi. down Main St., over the old brdige, to the start of the street closed off for events and vendors. It seems like a long walk back after a day of festivities and collected souvenirs, etc. Wear comfy shoes and layer yourself...maybe a sweater you can shed later and tie around your waist or otherwise carry. It can be chilly in the a.m. and get sunny to hot in the afternoon.

If you do not know about this site, it will be helpful to you in many ways:

www.miramarevents.com/pumpkinfest/index.html

It is lots of fun...I think I will pull the covers over my head this year and avoid the crush.

For one I recommend Sam's Chowder House just adjacent to the Beach House...easy 50 yard walk. Former Cetrella owner and his chef are in charge.

Chicago
Level Contributor
117 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around during Pumpkin Festival

I can tell you I was in Half Moon Bay last weekend and Saturday around noon the traffic was backed up from HMB all the way to the freeway (going into town!). What a nightmare!

However, the town is great. I'd recommend Pasta Moon for dinner. We ate there Friday night and the food was terrific. Every bite was a "flavor explosion".

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around during Pumpkin Festival

Joanne: Yes, traffic begins to thicken in early October when the pumpkin crop is mature and ready for youngsters to pick their own in conjunction with balloon slides, pony rides, choo-choo and hayrides, walks on the coastal trail and the beaches. After today's bit of rain it is forecasted the weather will be fine for the Pumpkin Festival and parade this weekend.

My recommendation to you would have been to take Hwy 1 from Pacifica, over Devil's Slide, thru Montara, Moss Beach and Princeton/El Granada to Half Moon Bay. That route gets congested but not nearly as much as Hwy 92 from 280. Pumpkin Festival (10/13-14) traffic is heavy either route, but Hwy 92 is much heavier to HMB than is Hwy 1 from Pacifica to HMB and the view along the ocean is some consolation.

4. Re: Getting around during Pumpkin Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, September 11, 2009