We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended for relaxation?

Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended for relaxation?

Hello!

My husband and I are making our third trip to the Bay Area from Ohio- this one to celebrate our fifth anniversary, my husband's 35th birthday, and the impending arrival of our first baby this winter.

We are looking to spend two nights and two days relaxing and enjoying the gorgeous CA coast before meeting friends and heading up to Sonoma for the weekend.

Do you all think Half Moon Bay is a good place to spend our two days? Any other recommendations on quiet coastal towns that might be better?

Many thanks!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended for relaxation?

I find Half Moon Bay a very relaxing place. I've stayed at the Beach House Inn and liked it--rooms are spacious with a nice sitting area with fireplace. Definitely worth it to get an ocean view room. If you want something more upscale, there's the Ritz Carlton also. Plenty of little shops and restaurants.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,908 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended for relaxation?

The Seal Cove Inn is another lovely place to consider for your anniversary trip.

Hayward, CA
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended for relaxation?

I think the Lodge in Half Moon Bay is a real nice hotel. ( I am very biased on this because I am a native of El Granada 4 miles North of HMB) The coast can be a nice relaxing place to stay. If you go to any of the beaches, go to Montara beach, it is the cleanest and nicest of the bunch. I would of suggested a restaraunt for a nice Romantic dinner, but a lot has changed since I moved away 10 years ago. I do still visit quite a bit as my Mother and Brother still live on the coast and I live about 45 minutes away. For great fish n chips Barbaras has the best. ( this is in Princeton, 4 miles north of HMB) I think for a romantic dinner I would go to the Distillary in Moss Beach. I don't think there are any better Coastal towns then Half Moon Bay. But I am definately biased on this one.

Rebecca

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended for relaxation?

I live on this coast. My visiting friends and relatives always enjoy the time they spend walking the coastal trails along the ocean, beachcombing and shops and restaurants in the small town of HMB. (I posted some photos of a few downtown buildings, etc., on this T.A. site that you can access at "Half Moon Bay Overview" starting the left-hand column here).

Weatherwise, what time of year do you plan to visit? There are foggy months and clear as a bell months...like October.

"Location, location, location" right on the Pacific Ocean leads me to recommend Cypress Inn on Miramar Beach which friends have loved (3 miles north of Half Moon Bay) or the Ritz Carlton (now a Marriott property and 5 miles south of HMB). Believe it will be fun and interesting for you to compare, up close and personal, the ocean to Lake Erie!

Cypress Inn is short distance (3-5 minute drives) from Cypress Inn is Sam's Chowder House (catch the "Today" show on September 20 at 9 a.m. for a presentation of their lobster sandwich rolls as part of a competition), Ketch Joanne, Barbara's Fishtrap, Half Moon Bay Brewing Co. (live music nightly) and Mezza Luna. Breakfast or lunch at the tiny HMN airport's 3-Zero Cafe is fun.

http://www.cypressinn.com/

www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/HalfMoonBay

www.halfmoonbaychamber.org (lodging and attractions)

www.hmbreview.com (newspaper out each Wednesday)

Other accommodations mentioned in posts above are lovely but not immediate to the ocean.

5. Re: Recommended for relaxation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, September 09, 2009