We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has Groveland closed???

Australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Has Groveland closed???

Only joking - but I noticed all the threads are closed and the most recent thread is more than 12 months old.

Based on advice received here on TA, we plan to spend a night here on the way to Yosemite and possibly make it our base for 2 or 3 more nights while we do the Yosemite thing. What I am trying to discover is whether the town itself is a good place to be in after a day in the Valley - are there OK eating options? It also seems like there would be some interesting things to do/see here. We are both in our late sixties so we wouldn't be looking for anything too raging! There seems like a couple of very nice accommodation options out of town too but would probably be looking in town first

Rainbow Pool
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Bodies of Water
Yosemite Guide Service
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Sierra Mac River Trips
River Rafting & Tubing
N California
Level Contributor
507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has Groveland closed???

I like the town, and there are several reasonable eating options there. Much better than the farming towns down in the San Joaquin valley as a place to stay. Biggest drawback for a Yosemite visit is that it is a longish drive into the main visitor areas of the park.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has Groveland closed???

Groveland seems to get lumped into the Yosemite forum, since it's one of the towns "nearby", about an hour away from Yosemite Valley.

Here is the list of restaurants - I'm sure you'll get more answers from others, especially with your catchy thread title ;-)

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g32460-Groveland…

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,240 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has Groveland closed???

In Groveland we enjoyed our stay in the historic Hotel Charlotte. The owners are hospitality personified. There is a small restaurant/dining room where you can get breakfast and even dinners on certain nights.

http://www.hotelcharlotte.com/

They were not serving dinner the night we were there, but across the street is an amazing rustic bar and restaurant which seemed to be full of locals having a great time.

Groveland
Level Contributor
18 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has Groveland closed???

Anything but! Perhaps there have been few posts lately because of the extremely strong tourist year this year.

If you go to www.staynearyosemite.com you will see a list of hotel/B&B options in or near the town. All hotels have a restaurant, there's a great Mexican restaurant, pizza places, and nearby Pine Mountain Lake country club has a new chef that is doing a great job.

This area is definitely your best bet for lodging while you are visiting the Park, especially if you are travelling the San Francisco/Las Vegas Hwy 120 corridor.

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has Groveland closed???

I agree Groveland is far from closed. But true, most questions are regarding some aspect of Yosemite and tend to get asked and answered in the Yosemite Forum.

There are a number of good places to stay in the area and most of our restarurants are great for their categoy. Mexican...Superb, Pizza...Yum....Saloon...Neat'o and so on. There is a Library-Museum in town open afternoons that we are all very proud of and of course some great small town shopping, coffee shops and people watching.

Groveland has the Pine Mountain Lake resort community wtih a golf course and stables open to the public.

Have a great holiday, and don't worry about making Groveland home base, you will love it!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has Groveland closed???

The topic of Groveland brings back great childhood memories. My grandparents retired to Pine Mountain Lake back in the late 70's, they loved it there and played golf rain, snow or shine. They could see half dome from one of the holes on the course(cannot remember which one) and they regularly saw deer grassing on the green. My brother and I used to rent a paddle boat to explore the lake with and it was just a wonderful childhood memory. My grandmother worked at the pizza place and we always would go in there for the most awesome pizza!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
26,811 posts
5,785 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has Groveland closed???

Groveland is open - but it is small. It is an ok place for an overnight, but its not a great place for several nights. You are always driving on a slow curvy road for an hour each way to get to the part of the park that you want to see. It is far better to stay in the valley for the other nights of your trip - and you will thank yourself for this decision once you make it. If you do not want to stay in the National Park lodging, there are other alternatives such as Yosemite West....

http://www.yosemitewest.com/

Groveland is a cute little community....and I remember when the one bar in town was a bit rowdy.... I agree there are nice areas around Groveland...

but since you are coming from so far (Australia), I do highly recommend staying in the valley and/or in the park. The park is huge.....

Edited: 10:36 pm, October 07, 2010
Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has Groveland closed???

In response to the post b y mini...Natural sites are one thing and Yosemite is one of the best in the world with all its visual wonders. But another part of travel has to do with meeting people from other places. Groveland and small lodging places offers this far beyond that which any 1000+ room company can do.

Enjoy it all, stay in a small place, meet many interesting people from all over the world, participate in an impromptu jam guitar/piano session in the lobby, have a fellow from Australia teach you how to play the spoons, sing Karaoke without the word machine....enjoy far greater amenities at far less the cost and spend a little time in Yosemite too.... Now that's an experience you will remember the rest of your life.

So often these boards are focused on the convenience issues of travel: closest, biggest,, fastest, most scenic ... and ignore one of the most intriguing facets of leaving home, the meeting of new people, fresh ideas and sharing of cultures and traditions. All of which are done far more successfully in the smaller towns and intimate lodging properties.

9. Re: Has Groveland closed???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 23, 2011