We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Groveland March 09

Oceanside, CA
8 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report Groveland March 09

Yes...Groveland is a small town but with all the charms you expect of a small town. We had a family reunion there with everyone arriving from different parts of California. Some came from Eureka, some from Sacramento, some from Union City, some from Riverside, and the rest from Oceanside. I made "scavenger hunts" for each group so that they had to visit different places along the way. The team from Eureka visited Charles Schulz museum and Petaluma (the arm wrestling championship capital). The team from Sacramento visited "Big League Dreams" in Manteca. The team from Union City visited Sunol and lifted Bosco's leg to get beer ;-) The teams from the south took a picture with a bronze statue of Willie Nelson and visited the state park dedicated to Colonel Allensworth, the highest ranking black officer of the Civil Army. Those are only some of the places the teams visited, but we all ended up at the Iron Door Saloon! Be sure to look up when you go in there!

After we all met at the house we rented in Groveland in the Pine Mountain Lake area, we spent the next day "discovering" Groveland and Columbia. Lynn from Hotel Charlotte, gave us a list of questions to run around the town trying to find the answers. You can find the questions on an earlier thread here, but they were so much fun! We met so many people in the town by running into their stores or meeting them on the streets and asking them different questions. The people of Groveland were only too happy to share their town's history. Do you know the oldest building in Groveland? How about how many beers are on tap at the Iron Door Saloon? It was a great way to meet people and also learn about this great little town!

Then we all met up for lunch at Rainbow Pools. There are no signs for this beautiful area but well worth the search. We had a picnic there and enjoyed the peaceful beauty of the waterfalls and rocks. I must have taken 100 pictures there! Truly a great find!

After lunch we went on to discover Columbia! I made another list of about 13 questions and the teams began their search for all the answers! Some "mosied" up in the saloon and tried to get the locals to answer the questions. Some went straight for the museum and asked away. Others searched diligently through all the old buildings to discover each answer. This has to be the funnest way to get to know a town! Locals are so eager to share their stories and believe me, we were very eager to listen!

The next day we all went to Yosemite (a short 25 minute drive from Groveland) and that was spectacular!

Thank you Groveland for all your hospitality and your friendliness!

Level Contributor
35,482 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Groveland March 09

Sounds like a lot of fun, thanks for sharing your travels with us! :)

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Groveland March 09

WoW you write so well describing the fun you all had in Groveland that I want to go myself and do the Scavenger Hunt. ;)

It was great meeting you and some of your extended family!

Lynn

3. Re: Trip Report Groveland March 09

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, October 21, 2009