We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Evergreen Lodge or Yosemite Rose B&B

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
HELP! Evergreen Lodge or Yosemite Rose B&B

Help me decide which place to book for our 1 night stay in the Yosemite region!

We are driving from San Fran to Yosemite via the 120Hwy on a friday (hopefully early morning departure 6am-ish).

We then depart the next day around 1pm, and drive up to Sacramento.

We hope to have time to have a leisurely drive around Yosemite when we get there on the friday - maybe drive down to the valley. No hiking, as my husband has bad feet.

And again on saturday morning, have a bit more of a drive around before we leave around 1pm.

Which accomodation would be the best location for us, with our itinerary in mind? I wasn't sure if Evergreen Lodge was too far out of the way, and if it would add alot more driving time to our day. It seemed as if Yosemite Rose is more on the way to the park, along the 120. However in saying that, if we want to go into the park, we have to do that much driving anyway......

If someone could let me know which is the better for our plans, it would be greatly appreciated - as I'm sick of procrastinating!

Also, we would really like to see the really really BIG OLD, OLD trees - is there anywhere in the mid-northern part of Yosemite? That is the main reason my husband said to come to Yosemite, so I hope we are able to see some in the mid to northern part of the park, as we don't want to head too far south, and then have to drive back up north to Sacramento.

Any tips would be wonderful. Thanks in advance!

Rainbow Pool
Bodies of Water, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Yosemite Guide Service
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Sierra Mac River Trips
River Rafting & Tubing
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,034 posts
6,066 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Evergreen Lodge or Yosemite Rose B&B

The best narly trees is at Mariposa Groves (if that is the reason you are going to Yosemite.) Mariposa is Yosemite's largest grove of giant sequoias. The Grizzly Giant, the oldest tree here, is estimated to be 2,700 years old.

There is a park shuttle bus that takes you through the trees.

The shuttle runs from 9 - 5 each day. You can find more information on the Yosemite National Park web site.

www.yosemitepark.com/content3col.cfm…

Mariposa is located by the south entrace to Yosemite.

It is close to the Wawona Hotel - Yosemite Propety.

Wawona often times has rooms at their place (some however without bath - i.e. shared bathroom).

I would recommend Tenaya Lodge for your stay.

The 244 room Tenaya Lodge is a world-class resort property set on 35 acres bordering the Sierra National Forest and two miles from the south entrance to Yosemite National Park.

Their web site is: http://www.tenayalodge.com/lodge.htm

The travel distance from San Francisco to Tenaya Lodge is about 3 and a half hours. Detailed directions on how to get there is on the web site. It is a different route than the 120 route but it will get you to The Big Trees the fastest.

Its also a lovely resort.

On Day 1 you would be traveling from San Francisco to Tenaya Lodge and then in afternoon enjoy seeing the big trees. Several activities in the area (see the Tenaya Lodge web site for more details.)

On Day 2 drive from Tenaya Lodge to Yosemite Valley early in the morning and do the loop activities of seeing the falls, Ahwahnee Hotel. If you get up and leave by 7, you should be there about 8 - leaving you about 5 hours before you depart and drive to Sacramento. It will be a long day.

This way however you'll really see the large trees you have come from and also the valley.

If you stay at Evergreen - its a little distant from both the valley and the Big Trees you've come to see.

If you prefer seeing Yosemite Valley instead get a place in the Valley (see National Park Web Site for openings) or there are several motels close to Yosemite Valley such as staying

in El Portal (14 miles to Yosemite Valley).

Recommendations there are:

Yosemite View Lodge

Evergreen Lodge is nice....but its too far away from what you came to see. You'll miss the truly big trees you came so far to visit.

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! Evergreen Lodge or Yosemite Rose B&B

G'day!

You have asked about two completely different property types, both wonderful choices if they fit what you are looking for. Yosemite Rose is a beutiful antique filled bed and breakfast a little bit off the 120 main road. Evergreen Lodge reminds me of camping-in a really cool way, BEDS! The activities are mainly focused on outdoors, wilderness and is a much bigger community of travelers, 50 new cabins where Yosemite Rose is much more intimate with only a handful of rooms. Personal attention by the owners....Very different properties.

For visiting big trees t here are two groves in northern Yosemite, both are smaller groves and a hike off the road, 2-3.5 miles round trip. One is called the Merced Grove, just before you reach Crane Flat and the other is Tuolumne Grove, just after you reach Crane flat.

Another choice an you can almost drive up to the trees is Calaveras Big Trees State Park off highway 4 beyond Murphy's. From Groveland you can get here in under 2 hours and it is sort of on the way towards Sacramento.

Have fun!

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! Evergreen Lodge or Yosemite Rose B&B

You decission may be made for you on who has space. Our trip to Touloumne was canceled due to the snow pack and the Evergreen Lodge was completely booked up (2 months prior to us arriving). I would suggest you call and see if either or both still have availability.

Good Luck

LA/OC
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! Evergreen Lodge or Yosemite Rose B&B

I agree with tripadvisor, Mini, with those recommendations.

Frist of all you probably won't experience much traffic getting out of San Fran that morning heading eastward. You'll be going against the morning rush hour. If you can get accomodations for only Friday night within the Yosemite National Park boundaries, on the valley floor, then go for it. It'll save you a lot of time. You should make reservations as soon as possible, as in most cases, Yosemite Lodge is booked well into advance, like one's year's advance reservations. It's a very hot ticket item of demand to reserve. You can contact Yosemite Concession Services at (559) 252-4848 to check on availability inside or outside of Yosemite. Once you arrive at Yosemite, you'll have to pay an entrance park fee at the Ranger's station. Here you can ask them any and all questions from stays, to eats, to daily tours, to maps. I think it's like $ 10 - $15 now? You'll definitely beat the weekend crowd. Because after a certain amount of cars and occupants pass thru the main gate... the Rangers will close the park, as a full occupancy notice per environmental pollution standards and the safety of free moving animals and tourists within the confines of the valley floor.

If not I support Mini's choice to stay at the Tenaya Lodge which you can phone at: (800) 332-3135. Tenaya is one of three or four? choices of lodging that they offer within the valley floor.

You can also phone Yosemite's Main Lodge At The Falls, where they can re-direct your call to any of their 3 to 4 lodges there. # ( 209) 372-1000.

I would not recommend staying at "The Redwoods" Lodge. or at "The Ahwahnee" on the outside of the Park. It's way too overpriced and expensive. Twice of what it'll cost you to stay at the Faimont Hotel in San Fran..

Enjoy & Good Luck...

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! Evergreen Lodge or Yosemite Rose B&B

Tenya Lodge is not on the valley floor, it is far outside the valley beyond the Wawona and outside the park at the southern entrance. The Ahwahnee is inside the park and well worth the treat of a special hotel...if that is what you are looking for, however, reservations for everything in the valley tends to book very early....a year in advance is not unheard of.

As long as we have owned the Charlotte in Groveland, the park has never closed due to a meeting of capacity for cars or people for environmental purposes so I don't really understand this comment from the prior poster.

Just follow your plan, visit both websites for Yosemite Rose and Evergreen Lodge, you can click to each from www.Yosemite-lodgings.com, and have a good time.