We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are distances?

Which Garden Grove hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
104 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
What are distances?

I'm staying in Garden Grove for a conference (Hyatt). I have two days to see the a much of the area as possible. Is Garden Grove within easy reach of LA to do all the sightseeing touristy stuff? Are there shuttles or should we rent a car even though driving in LA kind of scares me? Is LAX airport to fly into to get best deals? If so how far to Hyatt in GG? Never been to LA before. So forgive if I sound ignorant. Thanks for any adivce.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,237 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are distances?

Garden Grove is an outer suburb to Los Angeles -- 30 miles from the "city line". Most of the attractions in L.A., are beyond that point and the city is quite spread out.

It's difficult to see "all of the touristy stuff" in 2 days and without a car (even if you are staying IN Los Angeles) so, you have some decisions to make:

1. What attractions are you interested in? You might want to take a look at the ITINERARY IDEAS that are listed in our FAQs section at the top of the Los Angeles Forum. (You and I are now in the Garden Grove Forum). Here's a quick link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g32655-i61-Los_Ang…

Decide what things you want to see and we can better direct you. Keep in mind that L.A. is the second largest city in the U.S. so, for example, there are over 100 museums, 5 major movie studios in different sections of the metro area, beaches (lots of them), hills, canyons, interesting architecture, celebrities to be seen, shopping (again, spread out), etc, etc.

2. If you rent a car, it will make your life much easier since you will have to transfer from Garden Grove into Los Angeles on Interstate 5. If you don't rent a car, you'll have to rely on taking tours (which are not a bad alternative) but be sure that the tour you select has everything you want to see. Here's a link to a popular tour company that picks up in Garden Grove:

grayline.com/Grayline/…

Don't worry about driving in Los Angeles. Get a good map or use mapquest.com to plot your trips (each step) in advance.

LAX has the least expense flights for the most part.

The Hyatt in Garden Grove is about 35 miles from LAX and should take about 45 minutes to get to WITHOUT TRAFFIC. If you depart LAX between 2 and 6 in the afternoon/evening, you'll hit rush hour and it could take longer.

Good luck!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
104 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are distances?

Thanks - great help. Once I get an idea of what I want to do, I may post another question on LA Forum. I know the beach sounds good, definitely shopping, and do hope to see some stars. Your post about celebrity siting was helpful. Thanks again.

3. Re: What are distances?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, September 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Garden Grove