We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garberville to Yachats, OR

Which Garberville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
2 posts
Save Topic
Garberville to Yachats, OR

Me and my wife will be doing a little road trip this August with the ultimate end being Yachats, OR. While I am familiar for most of the drive leading up to Garberville after that I am a little hazy as it has been a long time since I have driven to Oregon. We will more than likely have some kind of GPS in the car, but in doing a little research before hand most if not all direction sites (google, mapquest, etc.) say to leave Garbervill and head to Yachats on HWY. 101. A logical choice given that Yachats is on the coast. Now are there a decent amount of places to stop for the necessities of travel? It is only approx. 360 miles so we will need to stop once for gas. And how windy is the 101 up that way, wife can tend to get car sick if she is not driving on those types of roads. Thank's for any replies!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,522 posts
5,278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garberville to Yachats, OR

We were up there over Memorial Day - if you were up there a long time ago, you might have remembered the windy roads that went through the area; the slow crawl through the magnificent Avenue of the Giants.

Consider the roads now are more like Highway 5 in San Diego without the traffic. they are mostly 2 lanes; fast driving; scenic; and easy to drive. Gas should not be an issue - I'd fill up when the tank gets to quarter tank (not empty) as there will be some 40 mile stretches without gas. However, its fairly easy to find.

Its still a bit stop and go through the Eureka area.

If you have some additional time, three fun attractions in California side to do:

1) See Avenue of the giants.

2) Go to Trees of Mystery - they now have a tram car that goes through the redwoods (i.e. not sure how your wife will like it (or not), but we found it lots of fun.

3) Klamath - has a nice 2 hour jet boat trip ont he Klamath.

Lodging is still very reasonable priced; if you need lunch, there are several places in the harbor area of Crescent City. There are places probably every half hour or less where you can find lunch all along the route.

Have fun. Also, its fairly easy drive since you just keep on heading north on Highway 101. We drove as far as Rogue River last year - and road good. The only factor that you might run into is fog (note: my better half lived there when he was growing up - he always tells me about the fog. I almost don't believe him as whenever he takes me it is crystal clear; no fog; no rain; and sunny. May my luck be with you on your journeys.

2. Re: Garberville to Yachats, OR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, October 15, 2009