We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Shelter Cove too far away?

Which Garberville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
629 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Is Shelter Cove too far away?

My partner and I are heading to see the Avenue of the Giants in Sep, this is the main purpose of our trip north. We will be staying in the area for a couple of nights. I have been looking at accomm in the Shelter Cove area as the Tide Inn looks lovely and suits our needs of having a kitchen. Is this too far away given what our primary purpose of the trip is?

Thanks for your help.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Shelter Cove too far away?

Shelter Cove has spactacular coastal scenery, but you don't need to stay long (unless you are interested in serious hiking or fishing) There are virtually no shops or stores, a few restaurants. If you want to buy groceries, you should buy them at a market on Highway 101 before going to Shelter Cove. The highway between 101 and Shelter Cove has a lot of curves and you can't make good time.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Shelter Cove too far away?

Shelter Cove gets a lot of fog. The road into & out of the village is winding and quite steep.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Shelter Cove too far away?

If you'll be leaving from and returning to Shelter Cove from Avenue of the Giants area, it's a rigorous drive. I'd allow an hour one way.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
23,419 posts
5,364 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Shelter Cove too far away?

We drove over to Shelter Cove last August. It was fun to see...and its a nice coastal town (if the sun is out and there is no fog.). However the roads are difficult (slow, windy, etc.). You might want to just consider staying an overnight or 2 in Mendocino which is close by to Garberville. Easier driving....

If you're looking for a small quiet area (and don't care about the fog) Shelter Cover is a great "very quiet" couple of days.

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
629 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Shelter Cove too far away?

Thanks all, I think given the drive we would be silly to stay there. It was just the inn looked great, had good views and was pretty reasonably priced.

6. Re: Is Shelter Cove too far away?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Garberville