We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels south of Shaw

Escondido...
Level Contributor
4 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels south of Shaw

I am trying to book a hotel for a high school band trip in November. I have seen several comments about hotels south of Shaw not being so good. Since I have limited choices of hotels (need over 40 rooms booked) I am looking at some that are on Ashlan (Quality Inn). Most of the hotels in the nicer area seem to be full or not have enough rooms. Is Ashlan area not safe or run down? Any suggestions?

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels south of Shaw

Find another hotel, or split up. The area is not great. It wouldn't be my first choice to house school age kids. The largest hotel is the Radisson in Downtown. While north fresno is probably the best, the Radisson has 321 rooms and I would stay there! Another option that I would investigate is the Piccadilly Inns. (www.piccadillyinn.com) They are local and any of the locations are fine. They seem to have about 190 rooms at each location.

Muffy

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels south of Shaw

Although some people have characterized south of Shaw as a bad area it really isn't that simple. There are nice areas south of Shaw and bad areas north of Shaw. Fresno/Clovis is turning into a big city and you have to look at things on a wider basis.

It would help to know what you need to be around. Are you coming for the Fresno State competition? Need to be just at the campus or anywhere else in the area also?

The Quality Inn is on the west side of 99 at Ashlan. Probably an OK area, Central Unified High is about a mile away and there has been quite a bit of new housing built in that area in the last 10 years. But it would probably take you a 30 minute drive to Fresno State.

The airport area is south of Shaw but has a number of good hotels (Holiday Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Picadilly, Chateau Inn). It would also be an easy drive up Freeway 168 where there is an exit next to the campus.

Some people also forget the Old Town Clovis area. About 3 or 4 miles from the campus, there are a couple of good hotels there (Best Western, Comfort Suites).

Let us know what you have already checked into and we might be able to give more ideas.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels south of Shaw

I just took a look at some comments about the Quality Inn since I have not been in that hotel. Looks like some guests have not been happy with the condition of that property in the last year. Something to consider.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels south of Shaw

psychoteacher, here is a new one that I bet few of the bands have tried because it hasn't opened. It is located in the River Park area.

There is a new Holiday Inn Express opening in that area. Supposedly they are finishing construction and now taking reservations for stays after Sept 30.

Do a search for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fresno-River Park and you should be able to get more info.

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels south of Shaw

If you stay in Old Town, there are several nice places to eat there within walking distance from the Clovis Cole (BW). La Posada for Mexican food, Trelio (I have a recent review here) and Corner Cafe for a casual lunch.

RiverPark is a nice suggestion also. Lots of great shopping and many nice places to eat: Fuzio's, Yoshino's, Dai Bai Dang, PF Chang's and even an In n Out for a great burger and fries.

Have a nice time with the kids! :)

Florida
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels south of Shaw

psychoteacher..........do NOT stay at the Quality Inn, Ashlan Ave., Fresno. Owner is negligent and uncooperative. Rooms are old and minimally maintained. Ours had one electical outlet that was dangling by its wires. They fixed it before the Fresno Fire Dept. went to inspect it. There was NO INTERNET SERVICE (as advertised) for the first 5 miserable days we stayed there. Currently doing battle with the non-responsive owner to adjust our room rate fairly. Korean owners are totally non-communicative even though their wall plaque proudly displays their guarantee to make every guest completely satisfied. That is NOT what they do, in reality. See attached:

Complaint ID#: 89009832

Business Name: Quality Inn

Thank you for contacting your BBB. Your complaint was received by the BBB on December 13, 2007 and has been assigned case# 89009832in our files. Please make a note of this number for future reference.

Your complaint has been applied to the following business:

Quality Inn

4278 W. Ashlan Ave

Fresno, CA 93722-6331

The case has been reviewed and has now been forwarded to the business for their response. This business has until December 27, 2007 to respond to your complaint. You may contact our office after December 27, 2007 to check the status of your complaint.

We encourage you to use our ONLINE COMPLAINT system to keep up with the progress of this complaint. To view the details of your case please go to the following website address:

7. Re: Hotels south of Shaw

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, September 15, 2009