We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for 90th Birthday Party

Davis, CA
Level Contributor
121 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant for 90th Birthday Party

We are planning a small gathering for my dad's 90th birthday and would like to find a place that might have a smaller private room (there will probably be no more than 16 people).

My dad isn't a picky or pretentious person. In fact when we asked where he'd like to go, he said Spaghetti Factory. Their private rooms are too large though, and with his poor hearing (along with that of his guests!) I'm worried it will be far too noisy for any comfortable conversation. Also...we'd like to pick a place slightly nicer than that.

Any suggestions of places that might have a smallish private room, have good food and atmosphere, but not be too fancy? Thanks!!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for 90th Birthday Party

I've used one of Spaghetti Factory's private rooms for a group of about 20, the room was a little large but it worked. But it was also an older relative's choice that we wanted to honor. The back private room there has doors to close it off from the rest of the restaurant to cut noise (my hearing is still OK but I hate trying to converse in noisy restaurants).

In terms of other choices, was Spaghetti Factory just an example your dad had of some place simple or is he (and you) seeking a place serving Italian or pasta dishes? Some other preferred food type?

Also is location a factor? Are you looking for a place close to say the area of the city where he lives or is any place even if it is a 20 or 30 minute drive across town OK?

Edited: 3:57 pm, January 15, 2012
Davis, CA
Level Contributor
121 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for 90th Birthday Party

Thanks! The Spaghetti factory said that because it was a weekend, unless we took up the whole room (which is for 50 people), they would need to put other tables in with us. So...I think that one is off the table.

For location, my parents are in the Sunnyside area, but some friends/family that are coming from various directions. I was thinking either somewhere up as far as the Herndon/Blackstone area (probably not all the way out to West and such)....or maybe Clovis.

I actually do think Italian is probably the best way to go -- everyone will be happy that way. I did a little more research after I posted this question and checked with a couple of highly rated places - Luna's in Clovis is booked for the date I need, and Giulia is closing in early February.

I've also called a couple of the DiCicco's because we've always enjoyed it there. Have you seen the private rooms at either their Blackstone/Barstow or Clovis Ave. locations? Both are available.

Besides DiCicco's...any other thoughts? Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Clovis
Clovis
California
DiCicco's
DiCicco's
69 Reviews
Fresno, CA
Barstow
Barstow
California Desert, CA
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,124 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for 90th Birthday Party

I don't think DiCicco's has private rooms per se, but I've been to a lot of functions there with larger groups and the Blackstone location always was very accommodating.

There are also the places up at the 41 & Nees like Elephant Bar, Famous Dave's, PF Changs and Mimi's.

Clovis has a DiCicco's and a Bobby Salazar's and I know the Bobby Salazar's on Blackstone has a backroom.

I'd also check the Landmark in the Tower District.

What about the Silver Dollar Hofbrau? I've done events there. too.

Mentioned in this post
DiCicco's
DiCicco's
69 Reviews
Fresno, CA
Clovis
Clovis
California
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for 90th Birthday Party

DiCicco's? So many branches of the family and locations under different names it sometimes gets hard to keep them all straight. (Giulia's is one of the family branches).

Used to be some good restaurant choices out in Sunnyside but most are gone now, Javier's is one of the few old ones left. There is a DiCiccos at Clovis/Kings Canyon but I do not think it has a backroom.

The Clovis DiCicco's has a small backroom but I can't visualize it right now. Looks like picture 11 on their Facebook virtual tour page can give you a rough idea.

http://www.facebook.com/Diciccosotc?sk=photos

I'd probably use that one over the Barstow/Blackstone location.

Besides what scottca075 has posted (I don't think most of the 41/Nees places listed have private rooms available, a couple might but most don't that I know about) I'd also think about a couple of others.

For Italian you might also check Andiamo in Clovis near the mall. It has a small private room. We've had some good meals at Bella Pasta at Cedar/Herndon and I believe it also has a backroom.

The mention of the Landmark in the Tower District is good and also brings up The Lime Light by Fig Garden Village. If your father is a longtime area resident both of those have been around forever.

If I think of other ideas I'll add them later.

Edited: 9:32 pm, January 15, 2012
Mentioned in this post
DiCicco's
DiCicco's
69 Reviews
Fresno, CA
Clovis
Clovis
California
Barstow
Barstow
California Desert, CA
Level Contributor
37,801 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for 90th Birthday Party

Andiamo is very nice if you like Italian food. We love the Chicken Parmesan there and the service is always good, also. :).

Davis, CA
Level Contributor
121 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant for 90th Birthday Party

I thought I'd post a note to say thanks again for all of your help. We ended up using the DiCicco's in old town Clovis (4th and Clovis) and it worked out great. They had a really nicely decorated private room - the perfect size for 20 people plus room to stand and chat during appetizers and drinks. The food was terrific and the service excellent. They have a new general manager (about 3 months) and she's changed a lot of things -- decor, menu, etc. She was fantastic to work with in getting everything set up - and very flexible during the evening (with a group of 80-90 years olds, plus extended family, unexpected things do come up!!). I know there are a number of DiCicco's around the Fresno area, but I would very much recommend this location. Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
DiCicco's
DiCicco's
69 Reviews
Fresno, CA
Clovis
Clovis
California
Fresno
Fresno
California
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant for 90th Birthday Party

Thanks for taking the time to post back with your experience. I'm glad you had a good time and that the Clovis DiCicco's worked out.

Mentioned in this post
Clovis
Clovis
California
DiCicco's
DiCicco's
69 Reviews
Fresno, CA
8. Re: Restaurant for 90th Birthday Party

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, February 26, 2013