We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from the grand canyon to sequoia national park

Which Fresno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Monroeville...
13 posts
Save Topic
driving from the grand canyon to sequoia national park

We are driving from the south rim of the grand canyon to sequoia national park and the kings canyon. I noticed we can go straight across death valley and end up on 395 near owens lake. we are thinking abou staying the night in death valley to break up the trip. can you get to sequoia with out going all the way around?Can you get there thru kings canyon? We are ataying inside sequoia national park for 2 days and then heading to yosemite and trying to fit everything in. We have never been out west so i am driving blind. What is the road like going thru death valley anything i should know? Any info would be appreciated. we are doing the trip the second week of june.

Edited: 11:35 am, October 03, 2010
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from the grand canyon to sequoia national park

No there is no drive from the Owens Valley directly into Sequoia or Kings Canyon . There is no highway across the Sierras between Highway 178/Ridgecrest/Lake Isabella until you are all the way north to Tioga Pass/Highway Yosemite.

If Tioga Pass is open in mid-June (opening dates vary due to the amount of winter snow received) you could go further north to Highway 120/Tioga Pass then thru Yosemite and down Highway 41 to Fresno then Sequoia/KC. If it is not open you would need to use either Highway 178 to Highway 99 OR look for an open pass north of Highway 120 then back around.

Most of the Sierras in this area is protected rugged wilderness. The only cross-mountain public route in this part of the Sierras are trails for hikers/horses/etc.

As a side note, a Sierra crossing can be done on foot in this area, if someone wants to plan for a 100 mile hike and about a 10,000 ft elevation change.

For Death Valley road specifics I'd rely on the posters in the Death Valley forums. They will have more visits/more recent info than I would.

2. Re: driving from the grand canyon to sequoia national park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, April 02, 2011