We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Radisson hotel/downtown area

Which Fresno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Radisson hotel/downtown area

My daughter just booked the Radisson (through Tavelocity, so she can't cancel) because it was close to where she needs to be for a grad thesis project at a museum. She hadn't planned on renting a car. I started doing some checking and kep seeing "DON'T stay downtown!" So now I wonder about her safety. Any comments? Thanks!

Sue

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Radisson hotel/downtown area

I think she's safe enough at the Radisson. The convention center is next door and the baseball stadium is close by. However, there are not a lot of restaurants or places to hang out near by. I've gone to events in downtown Fresno & not had any problems. She needs to be careful just as she should be in any unfamiliar setting.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Radisson hotel/downtown area

Downtown Fresno is safe. Like any downtown area there are some blocks that people will not feel safe on at night but sticking to the main areas is fine.

Basically downtown Fresno is very quiet at night, its still more of a government/office area that closes up at the end of the business day.

But the Radisson is right across the street from the Convention Center/Arena/Theater complex so there is activity there many nights.

The 4 block strip just north of the Radisson is a rebuilt area along Kern Street now nicknamed Sportstown. That street runs from the Arena and the Radisson to the AAA baseball stadium. You can look at some pictures of Kern Street by day and night here:

flickr.com/photos/…

Probably the biggest thing will be finding places to eat for dinner other than the hotel in downtown. Many places downtown are only breakfast and lunch.

This article talks about a new restaurant, Hero's, that I hear good things about, it includes pictures. Hero's is only 2 blocks down Kern Street from the Radisson. The web page also provides links to some other restaurants that serve dinner that are close to the Radisson.

downtownfresno.org/heros-sports-lounge-and-p…

There are 3 new restaurants along Kern Street that just opened this month. But I do not know if they serve dinner or not.

Those new places are Kebab Express (Mediterranean/Armenian), Newsroom Cafe (casual like burgers), and a tea room.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Radisson hotel/downtown area

I also wanted to mention that since she does not have a car she is quite a distance from most of the museums. If she hasn't already she probably should check an online map for the distance between the hotel and museum.

I don't know which museum she is going to visit (Fresno Met Museum, Legion of Valor, Artes Americas, Fresno Art Museum etc.) but she may find it necessary to use a taxi.

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Radisson hotel/downtown area

Downtown is pretty quiet at night. Even the Starbucks closes at night. Is she at the Metropolitan Museum or one of the surrounding museums ?(artes de americas and african american museum are close) If so, that's still a hike from her hotel. A car will give her more options for food and entertainment after her time at the museum. Have her check Enterprise car rental if she decides. There's an office at the airport. They have the best rates.

She will be safe, but might be bored downtown.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Radisson hotel/downtown area

muffya, my thoughts too about being bored. Although I've been hearing that the new Hero's Sports Lounge is usually busy in the evening along with some of the new nearby places along Van Ness.

I saw that the SkyRoom reopened atop the new Holiday Inn, I've got good memories from many years ago of seeing the view. I need to pay a visit again and see what the view looks like these days.

I've got a standing invitation from a friend to meet downtown for dinner. I need to do some food tasting down there and check out the new places.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Radisson hotel/downtown area

It's a children's museum.

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Radisson hotel/downtown area

I'm not familiar with a children's museum, but the Met does have a component that is directed to kids. They just reopened after a renovation that had the museum closed for a couple of years. www.fresnomet.org. I don't know what else it could be.

FresnoFacts. I too have memories of the skylounge. My rotary club met there for years. Love the view! Maybe I'll try dining downtown Sat night. Going to the Saroyan for the Lively Arts Best of the Bay Gala.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Radisson hotel/downtown area

Oops--it's not a children's museum, but the Metropolitan Museum. How far is that?

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Radisson hotel/downtown area

1.0 mile from the hotel. It will take her about 20 min (according to google maps) to walk. It will be deserted at night, so no walking after business hours. How long will she be here? If long than a day or two, I would still recommend a car.

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Radisson hotel/downtown area

when is your daughter coming to Fresno. The Met is in deep financial do-do due to their costly renovation. No one knows the fate of the museum when they default on their loan in about two months.