We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are Fresno hotels so expensive?

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Why are Fresno hotels so expensive?

I am planning a trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco in December (it is a part of a bigger trip) and, I guess, spending one night in Fresno.

All hotels I have checked are much more expensive than same categories hotels I am going to stay in Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

I mean, what is so interesting in Fresno that makes hotel prices so high? Maybe I should change some dates and spend more days in Fresno. Any advice?

Thanks.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,370 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Why are Fresno hotels so expensive?

There may be thick fog between Bakersfield & Fresno in December, but no snow.

If you aren't a "mountain person", how about driving over to the coast for a few days before arriving in San Francisco? Monterey Bay Aquarium http://www.mbayaq.org/ and/or Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk http://www.beachboardwalk.com/ can be fun for parents and a 15 year old! The California coast can be dramatic in December. Try the Monterey, Santa Cruz, or Big Sur forums for more info.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Why are Fresno hotels so expensive?

This thread was a pretty good compilation of things to do around Fresno.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32414-i734-k22628…

Since you are visiting around New Year's, events will be limited. Most people have holiday plans.

In December the Fresno Metropolitan Museum will have just reopened. For a 15 year old I'm not sure if the opening exhibits will have much appeal. The December exhibits include one on feathered dinosaurs, may or may not be of interest.

fresnomet.org/exhibition/feathered_dinosaurs

There is a 25 ride amusement park planned for Fresno but the opening has been pushed back to spring. You son would probably enjoy it, too bad it won't be open.

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Why are Fresno hotels so expensive?

I have just showed this topic to my son. Now, he wants to get some snowboarding and go to Death Valley too.

It is getting hard to plan this trip.

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Why are Fresno hotels so expensive?

PacificNWFamily,

Thank you for your suggestion about going to San Francisco by the coast. But it is already planned after San Francisco I will go back to Los Angeles where I am going to get the flight back to Brazil.

That is the reason I am trying to do something different from Las Vegas to San Francisco.

BTW, following your advice, I have just changed my car reserve to a 4WD car, just in case I find ice and snow up there.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Why are Fresno hotels so expensive?

I just remembered something. If you get a little craving while in Fresno there is a churrascaria in town. I can't say how authentic it would be considered but the food is good to me as an American.

http://www.sambafresno.com/default2.asp

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Why are Fresno hotels so expensive?

There is pretty good snowboarding 1.5 hours out of Fresno. Check out www.sierrasummit.com

I myself would skip Fresno and head to Yosemite then on to SF. There's snowboarding there as well. If you have to, spend one night on your way. I live in Fresno so I can spend as much time as possible in the mountains.

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Why are Fresno hotels so expensive?

Thank you all for your suggestions. Summarizing, I definitively need your help.

I have decided go to Death Valley on 29th December and sleep there one night (is that enough?). So I can spend all 29th December there and part of 30th. I do not know yet where to stay.

Then, I would like to go to a place where my son can have some classes of snowboarding (maybe that one in Yosemite Park). Is that possible to stay in a city close to Yosemite (like Mariposa) where I could take a public transportation to Badger Pass? I would not like to drive in snow since I have never done that. There, I think, I could stay from 30th December to 1st January.

As you can see, I have got flexibility in dates. Please help me planning.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,370 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Why are Fresno hotels so expensive?

Arkan

I really think you need to repost new questions in another forum. This sounds like a great trip, but you no longer need to know why Fresno hotels are more expensive than the one you booked in Las Vegas.

Ask on the Death Valley Forum about lodging there.

Ask on the Yosemite Forum, the Lake Tahoe Forum, and the California Forum for ideas on snow boarding. If you don't really want to see Yosemite, you don't need to pay the high lodging cost. There may be a better option in Lake Tahoe or one of the smaller central Sierra Nevada resorts. Your lodging options will be limited due to the holiday. Be sure your original post question includes your dates, your snow driving inexperience, and your son's desire to spend a day learning to snowboard.

Good luck!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,295 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Why are Fresno hotels so expensive?

Arkan, an overnight stay and most of two days there will give you a pretty good opportunity to see most of the major sites. Death Valley is a natural wonderland full of unique things to see, and some great hikes if you have time.

The main lodgings within the park are Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch and Stove Pipe Wells Village.

Furnace Creek is two separate facilities, a luxury historic inn and a larger "ranch" that doesn't have quite the same atmosphere. It will feel very busy. Stove Pipe Wells is a smaller, more rustic place where every room has a view of the mountains and/or Sand Dunes.

At this point, your lodging priority is to get a place. They fill up during Christmas-New Year period, one of the busiest in DV. The company that operates both Furnace Creek and Stove Pipe Wells resorts in Xanterra.

http://www.xanterra.com/

There is a smaller resort, Panamint Springs, on the west edge of the park, not as close to most of the major sights. It's very basic, but the rooms are decent and the restaurant is good.

If you absolutely cannot find anything inside the park, try Beatty. Nevada. It is a town and you won't have the true desert experience, but it's among the nicer towns near Death Valley. Also, the hamlet of Death Valley Junction has the Amargosa Hotel and no other services; in fact the only food is from vending machines in the hotel. This is also a historic property in the long process of being restored. The ambience is terrific, but iff you need a lot of amenities, this is not the place for you.

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Why are Fresno hotels so expensive?

Thank you all for your help.

Following your advices right now.