We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches

Which Fort Bragg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Karnei Shomron...
2 posts
Save Topic
beaches

We will be in Fort Bragg during August and would like to spend a day at the beach. Which beach is the nicest in the area? We don't mind driving a bit to get to a nice beach.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beaches

Perhaps McKerricher beach. It's not apt to be warm most of the day in August, though, if that's what you are after. It can be foggy and breezy, unless you luck out with out of normal summer weather. If you want to warm up, you'll have to go inland through the forest primeval and pot growers' havens.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,702 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beaches

MacKerricher has a great beach. Also, check out 10 mile beach, which is a bit farther north - nice wide, sandy beach in a cove.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beaches

Maybe also for fun stop by Glass Beach.

http://www.mendocino.com/?id=257

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beaches

I'd try them all. You don't have to spend a whole day at any of them. There aren't anything like snack bars; you'll be lucky if there are toilets. The fog could lift for an hour or so, so if it's foggy, time your visit for about 1-2 pm.

Later the fog will creep back in for the night. Listen to the fog horns and buoys. Eat salmon. Try some local beer or wine. Watch the fishing boats come back into the harbor.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,702 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beaches

NothernCalifGal - Your description of a foggy day on the beach sounds lovely right about now - as we melt in 100°F temps... :-) I want fog horns, a cool ocean breeze on my face, and a beer from North Coast Brewing.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beaches

Fog... For fog lovers I just had this great video sent to me, made in the San Francisco Bay

It's called "Adrift"

http://Vimeo.com/simonchristen/adrift

Tell me it didn't cool you off just a little bit

Edited: 8:49 pm, July 01, 2013
7. Re: beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, March 18, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Fort Bragg