We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need help (please) from local residents

West Virginia
5 posts
Save Topic
I need help (please) from local residents

My dog (Lucky) and I have always wanted to live in your area, and we have decided that Fort Bragg will be our last home. I am retired, relatively poor, 53 years old, and disabled ... It's my heart that has slowed me down.

We are an 'adventerous couple', but I am reluctant to just appear in your town 'cold' without having a clue as to where to go and whom to see about a place to live. Lucky and I are open to almost anything ... from a low-cost hostel/motel to even living in a campground ... my disability is not severe and I am relatively mobile. Any advise or contact information would be greatly appreciated.

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need help (please) from local residents

Hello -

This is truly a great place to live! I would suggest you contact the local Chamber of Commerce - 707-961-6300. They will probably have some leads for you. There are plenty of motels to stay in which are reasonably priced. They should have information on campgrounds as well.

The Century 21 office in Fort Bragg is also a great place to start looking for a place to live. They have a lot of rentals. You can ask for Barbara when you call.

Lastly, check out our local paper on-line - www.advocate-news.com. The classifieds would be a good place to look as well.

Good luck!

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,825 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need help (please) from local residents

If you receive any public assistance from the state of W. VA, be sure to check with the appropriate departments there and find out the ramifications of moving to Calif. Delay in benefits is oftentimes an unforeseen hardship for individuals moving between states. You may also have heard that Calif. is in dire straits economically and many public assistance programs are being slashed severely or eliminated altogether. Be sure to do some thorough research before you make a permanent move. Good wishes to you!

West Virginia
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I need help (please) from local residents

Thank you VERY much for your advice. Honestly, I didn't really expect a response. If this level of helpfulness is any indication of your Community, I will surely be delighted with becoming a part of your Town.

Again, I Thank You - Vonzant S.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need help (please) from local residents

I am glad you have some good responses. I will warn you that Trip Advisor often closes threads which ask for information about "residing in the area"as not being "travel related".

If that happens and you need more information on temporary lodgings, simply start a new thread asking about lodging without asking about a move to the area.

West Virginia
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I need help (please) from local residents

okee dokee! Thanks for the tip. ;-)

- Vonzant

Fort Bragg CA
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: I need help (please) from local residents

Try asking your question on Fort Bragg's Facebook page, it's an active site with locals, and people out of the area, who might be able to help. Also call Trading Time, a program on KZYX Saturday at 11 (PST) (you can listen to it on line , or send an email describing what you're looking for) to ask about a reasonably priced place to live. Finally, if you subscribe to Mendocino Community Network for your internet and email access (the money goes to support schools in Mendocino), you can post your request to their list servs, which reach hundreds (maybe thousands) of locals. Good luck, it is an amazing place to live.

7. Re: I need help (please) from local residents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 23, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Fort Bragg