We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MacKerricher State Park

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
58 posts
212 reviews
Save Topic
MacKerricher State Park

We are stopping here in early August and I would like the inside scoop as to the best way to spend a couple of hours on the way north to Crescent City and beyond.

Can you give me specific details as to how best to drive in and park, then walk and maybe drive on to stop again then head back to the highway north?

I am coming from a stop in Fort Bragg. I see that it's possible to see seals up close and to see wonderful life in tidepools.

I know you can camp and spend days here but I'd love details for the best way to spend a morning.

Mentioned in this post
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Fort Bragg
Fort Bragg
Mendocino County, CA
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,582 posts
6,175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MacKerricher State Park

We were up at Mendocino-Fr. Bragg in May. We really enjoyed our time at MacKerricher State Park. There are wonderful walk ways where you walk out and look at the ocean, sea and bird animal life, etc., and great to see it. There is a large parking area and then be sure to take this walk. There are places to walk off the path down the stairs (note, they were a bit hubbly when we were there but still doable). Take these down to where the tide pools are. We enjoyed looking at the tidal areas. This is a very well done park.

Unfortuantely our governor plans to close the state Park system by Labor day - so be sure to take plenty of pictures as well - as it might be your only visit.

we sure all hope not....but it might. for more on that:

thepetitionsite.com/3/save-california-state-…

Mentioned in this post
Mendocino
Mendocino
Mendocino County, CA
MacKerricher State Park
MacKerricher State Park
683 Reviews
Fort Bragg, CA
Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
151 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MacKerricher State Park

I would split up your stop and do an hour or so at the State Park. Afterwards, continue north and stop for a bit at Ten Mile River - an amazing beach!

I am hopeful our parks will remain open!

Enjoy!

3. Re: MacKerricher State Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 11, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Fort Bragg