We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF & Northern Coast Iitinerary

Which Fort Bragg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greeley, Colorado
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Topic
SF & Northern Coast Iitinerary

My husband and I (early 50’s) will be traveling to San Francisco and the Northern Coast 2/23-2/28. I have sketched out an itinerary and would appreciate your input as to what I am missing, the feasibility and any other suggestions! We enjoy scenic drives with stops at some “must see” places. We are not really into wine, but thought maybe a stop at Buena Vista would be interesting since it is the “oldest” (?) winery in the area. My husband has never been on the coast, nor seen redwoods (and I was a teenager!). So, that is one of our goals, along with loving agricultural activities. We would also love to see whales, and understand that this should be their migration season. I would like to keep our accommodations to around $125 per night, spend more on meals and sightseeing, as we will only be in the room to sleep!

Saturday 2/23 Arrive 9AM, city tour, China Town Street Fair on foot, Chinese new year parade, dinner (The Prime Rib or Mortons) We are staying at the Sir Francis Drake.

Sunday 2/24 brunch at Cliff House (10am), Explore Fishermen’s Warf area (lunch on warf), Ride the Trolleys, Alcatraz night tour, Starlight lounge

Monday 2/25 see the sights we visited on the first day tour that we would like to revisit. Must do some shopping at Britex Fabrics.

Tuesday AM pickup rental car (in Oakland as we fly out of there on 2/28), head out on road trip!

Main goals of Road Trip

See beautiful scenery different from Colorado!

Visit Historic Light House

See Whales

See Giant Redwoods

Travel Coastal Roads (on way South)

Tuesday: Inland Drive to Calistoga--What is the most scenic route? Are there any historic towns (ok, don't laugh, but gold mining, etc?)

On to Mendocino (Medocino Hotel & Garden Suites) or Ft Bragg, (The Beachcomber) again info on the most scenic route (how much further to Avenue of the Giants? Is it worth the drive, or will we have found plenty of places to view the redwoods?)

Wednesday AM-sight seeing or a bit further of a drive, head back towards San Francisco along Hwy 1 (any great detours?) Stay over along the route back to SF.

Thursday continue to San Francisco for 4pm flight home.

Wow! That was a book! Thanks for your help!

Teresa

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF & Northern Coast Iitinerary

You will find answers on the other two forums on which you posted this question. After you read them, come back with some questions so that those here can help you make the trip possible and pleasant. You will either need to add some days, or cut out something.

Greeley, Colorado
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SF & Northern Coast Iitinerary

I plan to cut out going onto Avenue of the Giants, would still like to go to Ft Bragg. Maybe see the Russian Fur Trading post at Fort Ross, would this cut back the time frame enough to still drive back along Hwy 1?

Thanks

Teresa

PS sorry for the same post on so many forums, hoped to hear from someone all along the way, thanks for being so helpful!

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SF & Northern Coast Iitinerary

Are you still planning to visit Mendocino? Fort Ross is a GREAT place to stop, and yes--it's quite doable if you're driving back down Hwy. #1 from Mendo, as Fort Ross is in northern Sonoma County. But be sure to allow at least 45 min. there. At that you'll be rushing thru since there's a lot to see with the excellent museum and shop, reconstructed buildings and beautiful ocean bluff views in back of the fort walls.

4. Re: SF & Northern Coast Iitinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Fort Bragg