We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery stop on Highway 1 between SF and Fort Bragg

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery stop on Highway 1 between SF and Fort Bragg

We will be driving up on a Sunday afternoon. We need to get a few food supplies on the way for a evening meal and breakfast. Could anyone tell me anywhere to stop without diverting too far. Anywhere at all between San Francisco and Fort Bragg.

Thank you.

laguna beach, ca
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery stop on Highway 1 between SF and Fort Bragg

In the southern part of Fort Bragg, on the corner where Hwy 1 and Hwy 20 meet, is the Boatyard Shopping Center. There you'll find Harvest Market, a great grocery store stocked with just about everthing under the sun (the entry to the center can be a little confusing. . .you have to drive around to the rear to enter. . . no driveway on Hwy 1). Another mile or so up Hwy 1, going towards the center of town, you'll find a Safeway super market. on the right. These might be handier than having to stop along the way up. . . .

Enjoy. . . .

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery stop on Highway 1 between SF and Fort Bragg

I think your best bet is Gualala, just across the Sonoma County line and the Gualala River, in Mendocino County. There are two good-sized local markets across Highway1 from each other. I am almost certain that they will be open on Sunday afternoon. Sometimes the one on the ocean side of the street barbeques in the parking lot on weekends, so you could have a ready made dinner.

As long as you are there, take a look at the Gualala Arts Center and the gift shop "The Velveteen Rabbit"...it sells original watercolors of the coast, and unusual jewelry, and other things.

They may not stay open late on Sunday, howevers, so your timing would be important.

All of the other towns you will pass through are smaller

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery stop on Highway 1 between SF and Fort Bragg

bosco7,

is the Safeway you mentioned one of the 24-hours ones? I was afraid that driving up in the afternoon they may find stores closed by the time they get to Fort Bragg.

laguna beach, ca
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery stop on Highway 1 between SF and Fort Bragg

Good point, Puter, thanx. . . .

The Safeway is 24 hrs and Harvest Market is open 5 AM - 11 PM.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery stop on Highway 1 between SF and Fort Bragg

Thanks very much for the prompt information. It's a great help.

laguna beach, ca
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery stop on Highway 1 between SF and Fort Bragg

P.S. At the Boatyard shopping center, where Harvest Market is, there's also a Subway sandwich shop and a Rite-Aid drugstore. I also might suggest Harvest over Safeway. . . it has better selection and quality. . . but both stores will do. . . .

Have a great trip. . . .

7. Re: Grocery stop on Highway 1 between SF and Fort Bragg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, September 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Fort Bragg