We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus route question

Which Fish Camp hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Bus route question

I've booked a solo trip to Yosemite for next March and am planning to travel from San Fransisco to Tenaya Lodge by train and bus.

I've checked over Amtrack's website to plan my route, but I'm a little concerned that the choice of detinations in the park does not allow me to disembark anywhere near the hotel on highway 41. The final change on the San Fran journey is to bus 8402 in Merced which runs to various landmarks and major hotels in the park.

What would be ideal is for me to travel from Merced to Oakhurst and then rely on local transport to get me to the hotel. Does anyone know of a reliable bus route that would take me there? I've already checked over the Amtrack and Greyhound websites, but they can't help me in this case. And the advice on Tenaya Lodge's own website is intended solely for motorists

Thanks in advance

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus route question

You will have to change your plans. There is no public transport to Fishcamp. Amtrak to Merced to YARTS to the Valley and El Portal are your options. Highway 41 is not serviced by public transport.

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus route question

Thanks for responding, that is good to know that in advance. are there any taxi services operating around the park and nearby towns?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,907 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus route question

No. Fish Camp is about an hour from Yosemite Valley.

If you want to visit Yosemite overnight without a car, you'll need to stay in the Valley or in El Portal, or perhaps Mariposa. There are some overnight tours from San Francisco that will transport you to the Park by bus or van, or you can use Amtrak/YARTS. But you can't stay in Oakhurst, Fish Camp, Wawona, Yosemite West, Foresta, or Groveland without a car.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus route question

The problem is getting to Tenaya or any of the southern lodging without a car. As mentioned, there currently is no public transportation.

Once at Tenaya or a southern town, you can book tours back into Yosemite Valley thru the hotel. For example at Tenaya:

http://www.tenayalodge.com/tours.aspx

I also believe there is an early morning shuttle bus from Wawona into the Valley but again you have to get between Tenaya and Wawona without a car.

The easiest answer might be just to change to a hotel in the Valley or from one of the east entrances.

But if you really want to try to stay at Tenaya, contact the concierge/guest services desk at the Tenaya and ask them your questions about taxis or other solutions.

If they don't have a solution then you'll have to look for other lodging.

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus route question

Many thanks to you all. I'll try and work something out with Tenaya or will rebook.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus route question

FYI, to the regular posters. I did find one way to get to Oakhurst and Bass Lake via a twice a day (Mon to Fri, no weekends) transit bus from Madera. But it does not go to Fish Camp.

I would not recommend visitors use it unless they absolutely have no other choice.

The service leaves from the intermodal transportation center in downtown Madera, same location as the Greyhound bus station.

maderactc.org/pdf_files/…205-08.pdf

7. Re: Bus route question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, May 13, 2010