We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route Inland from Coast 36 or 299?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
311 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Route Inland from Coast 36 or 299?

Spending a 8 days working our way from So Oregon (Reedsport) and ending in the Redwoods (Arcata) area. Is the best route back inland Hwy 36? Ultimate destination is Reno.

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route Inland from Coast 36 or 299?

If my ultimate destination were Reno, I would take the 101 down to 20 (just north of Ukiah) and take 20 inland. That will maximize the beauty of the drive and minimize the twisty-windey roads.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
311 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route Inland from Coast 36 or 299?

Thanks for the reply, Looks like it's not that longer of a route time or mileage wise. Also puts us through some areas that we had considered exploring. I'll take little bit longer but straighter route over twisty winding any day.

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route Inland from Coast 36 or 299?

Highway 20 puts you within easy distance of Calistoga, a charming spa-type community, if you have time for a short detour. Before that, at Upper Lake, there's the Tallman Hotel, with its garden rooms with private patio featuring outdoor shower and ofuro. My idea of slow-paced, laid-back, old-fashioned heaven.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
311 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Route Inland from Coast 36 or 299?

Great Ideas. We've been to Calistoga/Napa/Sonoma previously, I'm not sure how a spa or nice hotel would appreciate our scraggly crew of 2 adults/3 kids coming off a week of camping in the redwoods. Our ultimate destination is SLC, hence the overnight in Reno. But the revised route gives us a good option for a lunchtime break and stretch the legs in a couple of spots, Humbolt, etc. (Although after 5 days exploring Redwood National and State Parks, the kids may be done with the whole giant tree thing)

Now, if it was just the Wife and I, then I'd be all over that!

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Route Inland from Coast 36 or 299?

OK, if you have kids in tow you definitely want to do lunch at Granzella's in Williams. Their polar bear (taxidermy) should impress the young 'uns.

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Route Inland from Coast 36 or 299?

Here is another very scenic possibility -- I think this is much more beautiful than the previous posts, however, it will definitely take longer to travel.

Take Hwy 299 east to Redding, CA. Beautiful scenery. Good highway. I have done this myself. Actually, I have been over all of the following highways multiple times. Simply beautiful lush forests all the way!

Take Hwy 299 east out of Redding - via Burney, CA - to Hwy 89. (After Burney, a short trip north on 89 to McArthur-Burney Falls State Park is worth the time, if you have it. The falls are awesome - there is a short paved trail from the parking lot to the falls. A day use fee might run about $8.00, don't know exactly.)

Take Hwy 89 south through Lassen Volcanic National Park. It will take one hour drive time through the park.

Take Hwys 36/89 east toward Chester, CA.

Approaching just west of Chester, take Hwy 89 south to Quincy, CA and on to Truckee, CA where you will meet up with Hwy 80.

Take 80 east to Reno.

Have fun! I'm jealous!

Edited: 5:17 pm, May 28, 2013
Eureka/Fortuna/Hydes...
Destination Expert
for Eureka
Level Contributor
277 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Route Inland from Coast 36 or 299?

Another vote for 101 to 20 to 5 to 80 Most of it is four lane HWY and WILL be alot quicker that 299 or 36.

Mestre, Venice. It.
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Route Inland from Coast 36 or 299?

Hi, If I rent a car in Eureka and drive up to the Redwood Nat park, stay overnight-somewhere- and then drive back to Eureka by another route--I love scenery and trees--what options do i have.

thx

Steve from Melbourne Au.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Route Inland from Coast 36 or 299?

Redwood National Park stretches along the far northern California coast for about 40-50 miles. The southern boundary is only about 25 miles or so north of Eureka. There is only one road in this part of the state - Highway 101. So you would go north then back south on Hwy 101.

There is a very scenic section of the "old" highway that is well worth driving. It's called Newton Drury scenic parkway. The "new" Hwy 101 becomes a freeway that bypasses it, so you could take the scenic route going north and the freeway coming back south.

Other than that, any inland routes will take you far away from the coast and most of them will take much longer than just a day to drive!

shannontech.com/ParkVision/…Redwood.html

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
641 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Route Inland from Coast 36 or 299?

Hi steve613

When are you going to be here?

Have Fun

GP