We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel April San Francisco to arcata via hwy 1

Which Eureka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
347 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Travel April San Francisco to arcata via hwy 1

My daughter and I are doing a college visit trip end of April. I was thinking of driving hwy 1. How long can I realistically expect it to take w stops . Was planning 3 nights in arcata but maybe should 1 night enroute? Thanks

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel April San Francisco to arcata via hwy 1

Yes, plan to spend one night on the road if you are driving Highway 1. Otherwise, it's just too darn long if you want to stop here and there to take pics or short walks.

Highway 101 is much faster, is easily done in a day and is a pleasant drive but not nearly as scenic :-)

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
395 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel April San Francisco to arcata via hwy 1

Stay on the Mendocino Coast more than 4 hrs from SF much to see along the way, beautiful drive couple of hrs more to Arcata take Ave of the Giants enjoy the redwoods.

Arcata, California
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel April San Francisco to arcata via hwy 1

I live in Arcata and graduated from Humboldt State two years ago. The most direct route from SF is highway 101. You don't actually have to get on Hwy 1 to drive from SF to Arcata, it's really a detour that will add and hour to your trip. Highway 101 is very scenic and once you get up to Arcata it is just as close to the ocean as anywhere along Hwy 1 is. I Drive from Arcata to SF and back almost every month and it's really not that long of a drive. Have you decided where you're going to stay? I can suggest some places.

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
580 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel April San Francisco to arcata via hwy 1

Hi SanDiegoMom08

Do you mean drive 1 from San Diego to Arcata or just the section north of San Francisco to Arcata? Highway 1 north of San Francisco will add more than one hour to Arcata. From the Golden Gate bridge on 101 to Arcata is now about 5 and a half hours without stops. If you wanted to take 1 it would be 8+ hours. If you drive 1, I would plan to take my time, enjoy the drive and overnight in the Fort Bragg area.

Have Fun

GP

5. Re: Travel April San Francisco to arcata via hwy 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 01, 2014