We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

redwoods suggestions

south
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Topic
redwoods suggestions

I want to drive from Grants Pass Oregon to Eureka then to Oakland on 101. According to Mapquest, I am looking at 3.5 hours from Grants Pass to Eureka and 5 hours from Eureka to Oakland. I once thought I would have a puppy in tow as well as my 7 year old daughter, but it now looks like the puppy won't be along for this part of the trip.

If I am planning to be there in about 10 days and only to spend a morning in the redwoods area, eat lunch and then drive on, what is the best place for a short hike and for lunch? Where is the Avenue of the Redwoods and how do I get there?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: redwoods suggestions

I think you mean Avenue of the Giants, which is a long highway that is south of Eureka by at least 100 miles. They have an Avenue of the Giants marathon (they used to and probably still do) and the road is approx 30 miles long. I think that the Trinidad and Patrick's Point area is really beautiful and they both north of Humboldt State University, so you would come to them before you get to the college. Also, the official national park with the Redwoods is north of HSU. Near the college campus, there is also a Redwood Park. (sorry not so specific- I went to college there and love the area, but don't live there.)

Michigan
Level Contributor
297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: redwoods suggestions

Another nice stop sout of cresant city is the roosevelt grove, it has good parking and close to 101. there is als a place that great for the kids that has paul bunyan and babe the blue ox in front. their is someone in the Paul (20/30 ft tall) then he 'talks ' to people as they come up to see him..that is right off of 101. Before you get into the redwoods, on your way from Grants pass there a re acouple on great stops to see the river/falls--also a chance to pick-up sugar pine cones (they are huge!)

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: redwoods suggestions

Yep! I went to that Paul B stop once. The whole area is so gorgeous!! Makes me want to go back so much! I used to run (6 miles per day) in college and did all the logging trails in the redwoods and the "bottoms" in Arcata, which is the flat pasture land with the cows near the bay. I also did a bunch of 10K races that took us on the beach and through the forest. The air up there is unreal.

Redding, California
Level Contributor
210 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: redwoods suggestions

I would grab a bite to eat at the Sea Grill in Eureka, this place is by far the best in the area, Their clam chowder is wonderful, but I would only do that if your going to take 101 all the way down to get to Oakland or are you going to take 299 cut over to Redding then take I-5 the rest of the way?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: redwoods suggestions

5 hours from Eureka to Oakland is only driving time, it doesn't include stops for lunch and seeing redwoods. Add those in and you're looking at more like 7 hours minimum. Avenue of the Giants is about 50 miles south of Eureka, on average, it runs for 30 miles alongside the 101 freeway. Probably your best bet is a short hike through Founders Grove which has the fallen Dyerville Giant. A twenty minute loop with about the tallest redwoods you'll find anywhere.

south
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: redwoods suggestions

My full plan is to leave Grants Pass around 5:30 and arrive in Eureka around 9. Drive and hike around in the area until 11:30 then eat lunch and head for the Oakland area. I will either meet friends in Martinez (if I arrive by 5) or return my rental car to the Oakland Airport if I am later than 5.

So - Atticus - is staying on 101 reasonable or do I need to cut over as you mention? Is eating in Eureka as you suggest feasible?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Sonoma County, CA
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: redwoods suggestions

If you are planning to drive to Oakland from Eureka, I don't suggest cutting over to Redding and taking the I-5 down because once you hit Sacramento, you'll have to cut back over and head west to get to Martinez/Oakland. I'd stick to the 101. There's plenty of places to stop and eat in Eureka - fast food, sit down, etc. It's a beautiful drive and you'll have a chance to drive through the Avenue of the Giants (which, I believe, runs parallel to 101).Once you hit Novato, you can either take the 580 to go to Oakland or 37 to get to Martinez (check MapQuest for specific directions). Another alternative, if you have extra time, stay on the 101 and you can drive over the Golden Gate Bridge. And a helpful hint - keep a few single bills in your car to cover toll costs over the bridges.

south
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: redwoods suggestions

THANKS! I appreciate the help!

Redding, California
Level Contributor
210 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: redwoods suggestions

Visit,

If time was a major factor and you need to be in Oakland at a certain time then I would suggest that you take 101 down. Right now Hwy 299 East to Redding has a major rock slide, and travel delays are around 2 to 3 hours.

Reasons to take 101:

1. your not stuck in traffic delays

2. you can eat lunch in Eureka

3. see the redwoods longer

4. the drive is beautiful

Reasons to take 299:

1. I can't think of one reason....

enjoy you trip, and take your time.....

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: redwoods suggestions

If you are anywhere near Arcata (6 miles north of Eureka/home of Humboldt State University) in the am, go to Los Bagels for the best homemade bagels on planet earth. It is right off the town Plaza. The creations are amazing- the Larrupin sauce on bagels is incredible. I used to go there in college and another poster here said that it is still thriving and still amazing!

If you take 101 Fwy, the views and scenery are unbelievable- in my opinion.