We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help driving route to Redwoods Nat'l. Park

Traveler
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help driving route to Redwoods Nat'l. Park

Our Southern CA family of four will be visiting UC Berkeley for a couple days and then drive north to Redwoods National Park. We'll leave Oakland on a Saturday afternoon about 3:00 pm to drive part of the way north on 101. We will then have until Monday afternoon to arrive in Orick. What is a good route with 2 overnight stops? We'll be based in the Orick area to explore the Redwoods and coast for several days. We then need a route with one overnight stop heading to Interstate 5 to Southern CA. What would be quicker: taking Hwy.299 from Arcata to Interstate 5, then south; or going south on 101 and cutting over somewhere near the Bay Area to go south on Interstate 5? So we need a route going north with two overnight stops and then a route heading south with one overnight stop.

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help driving route to Redwoods Nat'l. Park

If you just looking at coming up 101, for my money, given a 3 p.m. departure from Oakland, it would be Healdsburg the first night, somewhere in the Eureka area (maybe Ferndale?) the second night. You didn't mention your budget, the ages of the travelers, or your personal interests, but Healdsburg and Ferndale (or Eureka) would give you access to good restaurants, a range of quality lodging, and pleasant surroundings for each night.

Why Orick? If it were mine to do, I'd head to Klamath and stay at the Ravenwood Motel. Dinner at Steelhead Lodge, which by now is in full swing. Nothing of an equal caliber in Orick.

Returning, 299 to I-5 would be my choice. 299 is very beautiful. Watch for the Straw House just past Big Bar. Plan to catch at least coffee there. Weaverville has decent services, including a free wi-fi lounge in the Starbuck's concession inside Top's Supermarket. Once you hit Redding, it's an express freeway. You're going to get there a lot sooner if you just head straight over 299.

Traveler
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help driving route to Redwoods Nat'l. Park

We are two adults and our young adult son and daughter. We'll be basing ourselves close to Prairie Creek State Park so we can hike and explore the redwoods. We're not really into wine and fine dining. In fact we like to stay in places where we can prepare some of our own food. Also, we'll spend part of a day visiting relatives camping in Patricks Point State Park. What is Straw House? How long will it take to drive from Oakland to Healdsburg? How long will the drive be to get from Hwy 101 to Redding via Hwy 299?

Thanks for your info.

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help driving route to Redwoods Nat'l. Park

Here's the trip calculator I use: www.wildtexas.com/travel-calculator.php

Ravenwood Motel is very near the park you want to visit. They have suites with full kitchens. I've stayed there. This is a nice place. http://www.ravenwoodmotel.com/

If you want out-of-doors beauty, consider tucking over to Highway 1, maybe spending the first night at Bodega Bay, then coming up 1 to connect with 101 at Willits, which would make a good second night's stay, or at Garberville. Reasonable, decent lodging available at both places.

Strawhouse is a coffee roaster/coffee house right on the Trinity River. http://www.strawhousecoffee.com/ Good pastries, soup, chili.

Has vacation rentals (park models) very nearby.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help driving route to Redwoods Nat'l. Park

I might try to get north up to Ukiah or even Willits for your first night. then maybe Ferndale or Fortuna the second night. Ferndale is prettier, but Fortuna has more mid-range lodging options. You'd have time on your way north to see the Avenue of the Giants and stop and walk a bit. You could even drive out from Ferndale to see part of the Lost Coast - but the whole drive is quite time-consuming with very limited services.

Orick is a pleasant enough little town and you may want to browse some of the wood carving stores. Stock up your grocery supplies in Mc Kinleyville.

From Arcata to Redding along Hwy 299, allow at least 3 hours, maybe a bit more. Some of it is quite good road and some of it is slow and winding. Weaverville has all services and makes a good place to stop and stretch. Oakland to Ukiah is about 2.5 hours, depending upon traffic, and on Saturday you'll miss the commuters.

Are you planning to hike Fern CAnyon?

Traveler
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help driving route to Redwoods Nat'l. Park

thanks half-Brit-

On our way north it does seem to be a good idea to get up to Ukiah or Willits. Are there any accommodations off Hwy. 101 that would be good for a one night stay?

Yes, I'd love to hike Fern Canyon

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help driving route to Redwoods Nat'l. Park

This is the only one that comes to mind in Willits, but their website doesn't give prices. (I haven't stayed there)

http://www.brooktrailslodge.com/

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help driving route to Redwoods Nat'l. Park

In Ukiah, Comfort Inn and Suites, and Best Western Orchard Inn are good bets.

I've also stayed at Hampton Inn in Ukiah, but that's pricier.

8. Re: Help driving route to Redwoods Nat'l. Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, December 06, 2010