We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go to see the best redwoods in the Eureka area?

Which Eureka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go to see the best redwoods in the Eureka area?

Driving from Seattle to San Francisco and spending one night in Eureka. We would love to see some spectacular redwoods along the way. Can anyone tell us the best place to go? Thanks tons!

CT
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go to see the best redwoods in the Eureka area?

Also meant to say we'd love to see spectacular sequoias as well! Thanks!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go to see the best redwoods in the Eureka area?

Hi Gate, this website will give you lots of info:

shannontech.com/ParkVision/…Redwood.html

The nice thing is that the main road, Hwy 101, goes right through the redwoods, and there are many places to stop and walk about.

South of Eureka, about 40 miles, is the Avenue of the Giants. If you have time, take this road. It will wind along for about 30 miles and then take you back to the main highway again.

www.avenueofthegiants.net

CT
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go to see the best redwoods in the Eureka area?

Thank you!

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
308 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go to see the best redwoods in the Eureka area?

If I were doing it, I'd cut over from I-5 to the 101 by way of 199, north of Crescent City. Then I'd head south on the 101 and south of Klamath I'd take the Newton P. Drury alternate through the Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. This loops back to join the 101 after a leisurely, non-commercialized tour through some of the country's most beautiful redwoods.

If you continue south on 101 toward San Francisco after your Eureka overnight, down around Garberville you can take the Avenue of the Giants alternate loop. This will give you a basis for comparison.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go to see the best redwoods in the Eureka area?

Hmmm, Gate, I assumed you were either going down Hwy 101 from Oregon, or taking I-5 to Grants Pass and then going south on Hwy 101 to Eureka?

6. Re: Where to go to see the best redwoods in the Eureka area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, October 19, 2009