We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Havasu City Az to Coos Bay Oregon

Lake Havasu City Az
1 post
Save Topic
Lake Havasu City Az to Coos Bay Oregon

Towing 28ft boat wonder if better to go I-5 through lots of mountains or turn off at Redding and do 299 to coast and then up 101, Any input

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Havasu City Az to Coos Bay Oregon

I am not a local, but I've been on 299 and it is a winding road that feels like it's in the mountains although the elevations might not be that high.

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
311 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Havasu City Az to Coos Bay Oregon

No question about it: Do as many miles on I-5 as possible. Cut over to the coast at Roseburg, Oregon. The mountain miles you will log on I-5 will be long, sweeping curves, and the road between Roseburg and Coos Bay is doable. The other route, just out of Redding, 299 has eight miles of corkscrew we sure wouldn't want to pull a 28-foot boat over.

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
311 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Havasu City Az to Coos Bay Oregon

badkenny2, i tried to respond to your private message but couldn't get an insertion point. Check your e-mail for incoming that might land in your junk mail; subject line will refer to TripAdvisor.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Havasu City Az to Coos Bay Oregon

We've just gone the other direction towing our 30' travel trailer. I'd opt for I-5. The pavement has rough spots, but on the long hills there are extra lanes so you're not clogging up traffic.

Just use your lower gears on the downhill!

I've driven Hwy 299 quite a few times in a small MH towing a car and it's more nerve-wracking than I-5.

Hwy 42 in Oregon from Winston on I-5 to Coos Bay is a good road.

5. Re: Lake Havasu City Az to Coos Bay Oregon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 25, 2009